Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residence application - Partner provided 20 extra points, what if she quits?

Question Residence application - Partner provided 20 extra points, what if she quits?

Hi There !

I really hope you can help me, i'm kind of confused about what to do with my current job. I'm working as a contractor now but i've been working for that company for a year already, i have an agreement as contractor with them until december of this current year.

My bosses have got the verification mail from Migration a couple of weeks ago but i know from them that they haven't replied that email and to be honest i'm not sure if that is actually going to happen, i don't really know the reason but i'm guessing they are just pushing me.

My residence application is not based in my contract as my partner is the principal one, i'm just proving 20 extra points, so my question is:

What would happen if i decided to quit this job?, do they just drop off those points from my application, or does it affect the process?

does anyone know?

Thanks for your help

This would be very much appreciate.

Hello.

If you quit your job, then yes, the 20 points your partner claimed for that would be lost. (I guess, unless you got another skilled job fairly shortly.) Whether or not that would make a difference to his application would depend rather on his situation, and how many points he had in the first place. I'm guessing he also has a job, in which case he would be all right if he has 100 or more points, even without your 20.

What is the problem with your employers? Are they being unpleasant in general, and not answering the email is just one part of that? Or are they trying to get you to take a pay cut or change your hours, or something, and using it for leverage? Have you asked them? I don't think they can CHOOSE not to reply to INZ, which is part of the government - INZ will be following up.

Thanks for you quick response!

We do have enough points even if i would lose my 20, my concern is mostly if Migration would consider that i'm not a good fit for the country.

I don't really know the reason why they are acting this way, i guess in general they are unpleasant and they got a bit uncomfortable that migration asked them about their gst return ( i don't know why), they have told me they don't understand why they need to give that information as i'm not applying with this job as the principal applicant, i'm just providing extra points.

So since they mentioned that i have felt they just don't feel comfortable with this situation i guess, I've been trying to get an answer from them but i just get answers like " Hopefully i will get it done this afternoon, even if i don't send the gst information" this has been the answer for the last couple of days but it's been weeks they have that email from migration.

INZ ask things about the company employing a migrant because they try to satisfy themselves that the business is stable and isn't likely to fold. That's usually a concern in the case of principal applicants, not someone like you, but maybe they're just using the same checklist. (I guess your boss is a bit touchy about telling someone else his finances, or maybe he's not right up-to-date, or similar!)

Try not to worry. It's not your fault that the bosses are grouchy, and some are like that all the time, just as a matter of their nature. Why shouldn't you keep on earning your living? I think in your place, I might contact your CO (or get your partner to do it as it's his application) and tell that person that you know nobody has yet answered, so perhaps they need to ask again.

Well I contacted migration already (I went to my branch) and apparently i do not have a case officer yet as i'm in the verification process, that's what they said, but situation at work has became a bit stressful and frustrating for a long period now and i've been considering quitting as i do not longer feel comfortable with them.

I explained to them the same thing that you just did, that migration is just looking to see how stable the business is but even so they are avoiding the subject and i'm guessing they will leave it until the last instant.

So in the worst scenery if I decide to quit, i think the Residence application won't be affected as we still have enough points.

what an awkward situation!

Otherwise I may try to contact migration again and see if they can perhaps ask them again.

Thanks for your advise you have been very useful!
    Last edited by marea; 27th February 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Have you made any useful contacts since you've been working there, who might know of other work you might like better?

Yes but i'm not sure how easy is going to get another job that soon, it is not about the money i just want to keep the process going even if i quit the job and i would like to know how migration would take that I'm considering leaving my current job, i wonder they would like to know why and if i've got another contract. My partner and I still have around 160 points not including 20 of my skilled employment but i'm worried about how to explain it to them.

If you've got reasons for leaving which concern your working conditions and/or the way you're treated in the workplace, then you can simply set them out in a letter or email, and tell INZ you won't be working there after x date and therefore they won't need to wait for any reply from that employer after all. You aren't the principal applicant, so your situation isn't crucial, as long as the lack of the 20 points wouldn't take the whole thing below the qualifying level - you're just one box more or less to be ticked.

Thank you so much you have been really helpful!!! I will have a chat to them today regarding that email.

Hi there!

My bosses have sent the information to migration but migration is questioning why i'm a contractor, I've been paying my taxes on time and everything and i'm about to reduce my hours at work from full time to part time and i think they mentioned that to migration, i'm guessing in the worst case scenery i just won't get my 20 pt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast