Thread: Vodafone Talk 3

Default Vodafone Talk 3

I've just signed up for Vodafone Talk 3 which give me unlimited calling in NZ and 21 countries for $40.89 a month. However, after signing up, I realized that the 'free' calling is only to landlines. As all my friends in the U.S. use only mobiles or computer phones, I'll probably have to cancel the plan. But does anyone know if computer phones are considered landlines? Not sure how it works, but my son gets his phone through his broadband provider. The person I spoke with at Vodafone wasn't sure. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    ..., I realized that the 'free' calling is only to landlines. As all my friends in the U.S. use only mobiles or computer phones, I'll probably have to cancel the plan.
    Since the US mobile phones use the opposite charging model to here (the owner of the mobile phone pays for all calls, not the person on the other end) there is no difference in pricing to call a mobile number compared to a landline, so I would fully expect the plan to cover all of your calls to the US. The same holds for VOIP calls - to the phone system they look like traditional landline phones.

Isn't the call charged regardless of the charging model of the receiving party? From what I understand as long as the connected no. is not landline, the call would be charged in Vodafone's billing system otherwise they would not explicitly mention about landline in the contract (free calls to mobiles would actually be well marketed otherwise).

Just to add, its better to call up Vodafone customer support or dealer and get this clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by dbonnett View Post
    Since the US mobile phones use the opposite charging model to here (the owner of the mobile phone pays for all calls, not the person on the other end) there is no difference in pricing to call a mobile number compared to a landline, so I would fully expect the plan to cover all of your calls to the US. The same holds for VOIP calls - to the phone system they look like traditional landline phones.
    dbonnett, you must be right. I made some trial calls to the numbers I wasn't sure of. They're now listed on my Vodafone online phone usage and I wasn't charged for the calls, including one to a U.S. mobile, 2 calls to phone numbers that are landlines that use the mobile phone towers (Verizon) and my son's computer phone. No charge on any of them! But I'll monitor the usage daily, just in case. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Isn't the call charged regardless of the charging model of the receiving party? From what I understand as long as the connected no. is not landline, the call would be charged in Vodafone's billing system otherwise they would not explicitly mention about landline in the contract (free calls to mobiles would actually be well marketed otherwise).

Just to add, its better to call up Vodafone customer support or dealer and get this clarified.
    Sun, Vodafone told me that the calls were only landline to landline, but wasn't sure about the landlines that use cell towers or computer-based phones. But I'll monitor my phone bill online so I don't get any surprises at the end of the month. Thanks!