Thread: Claiming Bonus Points for my partner's recognized qualifications

Default Claiming Bonus Points for my partner's recognized qualifications

Hi All,

I'm filling up my EOI application at the moment and I would like to claim the bonus points for my partner's recognized qualifications

She got a degree in Bachelor of Arts in Tourism, since her school is not listed on the exemptions we are planning to get a PAR for her qualifications from NZQA

What are the chances of giving her a qualification of 7 for Bachelor degree?

Or should I straight away get an IQA for her instead of PAR before submitting EOI?

Please advise,

Thanks

Hi,
    IQA will take a lot of time almost 1 and a half month and PAR Result will be received within 20 days and is also quite cheap. So apply now for PAR and submit your EOI. If you will manage to get Level 7 in PAR you will most probably get the same in IQA too.

Regrds,

If you will manage to get Level 7 in PAR you will most probably get the same in IQA too.
    Excuse me - this isn't necessarily the case.

For PAR, NZQA only consider the name of the qualification as it appears on the certificate - they don't investigate the course content. For IQA, they look at the subject matter studied, for how long, to what depth, then they try to find a NZ qualification that the foreign one is approximately equivalent to, as well as stating what level it is at.

Therefore, it is possible that someone whose qualification is called something like 'Bachelor of X' could get a PAR saying 'Level 7', because most bachelors' degrees are a Level 7. However, since use of language can be different in different countries and different institutions, it may be that, when the applicant asks for PR, NZQA could find that the 'Bachelor of X' course didn't study in the same depth or for the same length of time, as would be the case for a bachelor's degree in NZ, and the applicant can find they get a Level 6, or even 5, instead, and the nearest equivalent isn't a degree at all. People on the forum have had this happen.

Nobody here can tell you what NZQA will decide about your wife's degree, and nor can they, till they have done an IQA. An IQA counts perfectly well for the EOI, as well as for ITA.

Levels depends on the complexity of the learning. They do NOT equate to 'years spent learning' but reflect the content of the qualification.

Please read the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) document from the web link below

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/Study...ments-nzqf.pdf
    Last edited by arvin; 28th February 2013 at 06:50 PM.

It makes me to confuse with level 7 - diploma, level-7 certificate and level 7 - bachlor degree. what's the differences?

Here are descriptions of degrees, certificates, and diplomas, as the words are used by the NZ educational system. You'll see there are differences in the purpose of qualifications, and therefore, in the spread and content of what is studied.

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...elor-s-degree/
    http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...s/certificate/
    http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-...quals/diploma/

Hi JandM,

Thanks for the explanation; reading it now