Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$ info - Room for rents / Apartments ... etc

Default $$ info - Room for rents / Apartments ... etc

Hey everyone -

I'm gonna be possibly moving to NZ sometime this year, and I'm wondering on pricing info for Wellington area (outside or inside the city), and possibly Auckland if the prices matter, because I am a home based business, but will probably establish a business location as well (but don't influence that in this pricing sheet please). Here's some facts about me to go off of, then what I'm looking for, and if you can give me some good estimations, that would be awesome:

Myself:
    28 (29 when i move), single, no kids, no police record, no car (to expensive to ship it right away), internet business (and what I'll be applying for), not a NZ citizen (but will have a work/business visa) but could end up staying without deportation.

What I'm possibly looking for:
    Room for rent OR 2 bedroom Apartment (one room for business) <== two different prices if you can separate the two please.
    Public transportation within one mile
    Reliable unmetered internet (if possible)
    grocery store within close distance
    girlfriend? lol jk.

--

these are kinda vague in a way, and this could just be a typical single person living establishment. If shipping the car would make things so much easier (normally is), then I assume adding in that to the monthly costs.

I have no idea what my budget would be, so as for this post, lets just say I'll be bringing in $5k-6k a month to spend on bills. I was reading some posts, and most of the prices I was reading are all over the place. So i figured I would give my situation and see if anyone could give me a close estimate.
    Last edited by Baurox; 1st March 2013 at 05:21 PM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

You can search for rental details, prices etc on Trade Me.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

You can search for rental details, prices etc on Trade Me.
    So this "pw" ... is rent based on a 'per week' basis? Like is everything need to be paid every week, or is it a monthly bill that we pay?

Yes, pw means per week.

Depending on the landlord and what you agree, you could pay your rent weekly. fortnightly (2 weekly) or monthly.
    In my experience 2 weekly is most common.

Unlimited broadband is not common, though can usually costs $100 for ADSL2+, though Naked Broadband can be less.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    Depending on the landlord and what you agree, you could pay your rent weekly. fortnightly (2 weekly) or monthly.
    In my experience 2 weekly is most common.

Unlimited broadband is not common, though can usually costs $100 for ADSL2+, though Naked Broadband can be less.
    Thanks, I was assuming it would be based per landlord on how rent is paid. Would be nice to pay monthly and possibly get a discount for it :P lol jk. The unlimited broadband is def something I'll probably need, especially if my servers will be coming from NZ, which probably won't be the case. Most of my clients are US/UK, so servers east coast USA is still my best place.

So relating to my car, I was reading if my bring my car (left seat driver), I'll have to convert it to a right seat ? My car (a 4x4 SUV) is not valued more than $3-4k, so doing all that is probably not worth the investment. But I would assume just selling the car here and purchasing a used one in NZ would probably be the safest and easiest. Any thoughts on that idea?

Any idea business wise though. If I bring my business to NZ, can I run it from my house, or will I need to purchase an office somewhere? I would need to hire roughly 2-3 people the time I move to NZ, but I can easily find a place with 2-3 bedrooms and run an office from there. Just don't know how that's done, and if the internet is reliable for that since it's a 'residential' area that I'm running my business.

Thanks

As a general rule unless the car is rare, or late model, it is better to sell and buy something here. Also depending on the vehicle, what suits you in USA, may not suit you the same in NZ.

If you offer a service or product (retail/wholesale) based business working in most residential areas is not a problem. There would be some traffic, parking and space per staff member limitations and obviously noise limits.

Quality of broadband can vary and most areas are only serviced on ADSL, with most VDSL services on hold. But in many parts of Wellington there is reliable broadband of reasonable speed levels.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    As a general rule unless the car is rare, or late model, it is better to sell and buy something here. Also depending on the vehicle, what suits you in USA, may not suit you the same in NZ.

If you offer a service or product (retail/wholesale) based business working in most residential areas is not a problem. There would be some traffic, parking and space per staff member limitations and obviously noise limits.

Quality of broadband can vary and most areas are only serviced on ADSL, with most VDSL services on hold. But in many parts of Wellington there is reliable broadband of reasonable speed levels.
    Alright, well I sell an eCommerce service, no physical product. So no noise will really happen. Parking I would make sure it wouldn't be an issue w/ neighbors..etc.

So actual speeds of ADSL and VDSL in residential areas, anyone in Wellington able to let me know what their actual speeds are? Cause I never believe what the ISP sites say, they like to re-word things to make it seem it's really really fast :P

From what others here in Wellington have told me the Cable service from TelstraClear is one of the most reliably fast Broadband services available.

If you live very centrally you could link to fibre networks like Citylink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast