Thread: Skilled jobs easy to get or not?

Question Skilled jobs easy to get or not?

Hey folks

I would like to know how easy it is or difficult it is to get a job in area of your expertise? (I know it totally depends upon which field you beling to) but still considering I.T. or ICT has a demand in NZ, how difficult or easy to get a job in NZ.

Example:- A person from IT field having over 5 yrs of work exp with designation as a Test Analyst could look for job profiles like Automation tester/Manual tester/Intermediate Software tester/Snr test analyst etc and these job profiles are there on seek.co.nz or trademe.co.nz sites
    considering this how difficult or easy to get a job for him. Or do the employers give reason like we need people having kiwi work exp etc etc..

There is no one right answer to this. Each person would like to know, 'What will happen to me?' But all that people already in NZ can tell you is what happened to each of THEM. And of course, each person's outcome will depend partly on their own qualifications, and their nature (does he seem like a nice fellow, so did the employer LIKE him at the interview?), and their luck (did their application arrive one day after some useful worker handed in his notice?).

In my experience, IT jobs which DO NOT require client interaction, is mostly technical in nature and niche are easier to come by for foreigners. Kiwi cos. prefer people with NZ experience where client interaction and BD (Biz. Development) is part of the role. Also the more junior you are, easier for cos. to absorb you and train you as per their requirements.

... and the fact that you have experience will help. NZ firms almost always want people with at least 3 years experience. Whereabouts in NZ do you want to be based? Karen

Thx JandM, Otaku and Karen for valuable inputs.

@Karen- Location is not constraint but as per job portals like seek.co.nz, trademe.co.nz , http://jobs.nzherald.co.nz/ and other IT recruiters sites like http://absoluteit.co.nz, www.pursuitrec.co.nz etc etc, IT jobs are placed in Auckland and Wellington so I am eyeing these two regions. Any info on the same and current IT job will be highly appreciated.