Thread: visa question..

Default Can I come on a visa waiver and change to a work visa once here?

Hi all, could you tell me if I can come over to NZ for a holiday and change my visa wavier to a work permit if I'm offered a job?? Would we also have to arrive on return tickets?
    I have a kiwi friend that has a logging company and has said that he will sponsor me for a work permit once im in country and that he will train me up, he says that he's having trouble finding staff and after he's advertised the job for locals and had no takers, he'll be able to go to immigration and apply for a work permit for me, I'll be travelling with my wife and two girls we are British citizens and I'm 43 and a ex London fireman that was retired on a silly injury which I've since made a full recovery from. We will rent our house out in the UK and have a income from my pension and rental of about £1500 per month after mortgage is paid plus we've saved £25000, many thanks in advanced for any replies, is this plan doable???
    Burnsie
    Last edited by burnsie; 3rd March 2013 at 10:36 AM.

It's do-able, but to enter the country (actually to leave UK) you have to show proof of onward travel, which usually constitutes a return ticket.

Hello.

Yes, there are only a very few visas which entitle you to board a plane to go to NZ on a one-way ticket. But 1) you'll find that most one-way tickets aren't a lot cheaper than one-way tickets, and 2) it's possible to find return tickets with the option to get a refund on the return part if you don't use it, though they're usually more expensive in the first place. So, a bit of maths to do to see what's worth it. Also, if you're thinking about bringing your house contents, think about timing the arrival until AFTER you will have your work visa, otherwise you would not get the concessions http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx, and would have to pay tax on importing your own property.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think that you are going to find this an almost impossible route. Your Kiwi friend may have advertised the job but if it is trainable (as he is saying it is for you) then INZ would say that it would be possible to train a Kiwi before a foreigner.

You are over the age of getting a working holiday visa, so the only other route is to apply with your own skills but I doubt whether you could transfer to the NZ Fire Service.

What about your wife - what are her skills/profession?

Thanks for the quick reply folks, my wife has dual British/Thai nationality and works as a supermarket assistant and a part time Thai chef in a Thai restaurant, but she doesn't have diplomas to prove this, we are having a 3 month break in Thailand on the way through and she reckons she will be able to get the paper work from a college in Thailand. I have a HGV licence from my time in the fire brigade and my licence is a class C in the UK which I think is a class 4 in NZ, another option could be to take a driving course and gain my class 5 in NZ and look for a job whilst there on holiday in NZ, I'm also a scuba diving instructor but I don't think that is an option when it comes to gaining a work permit, is it possible to come over holiday and change our visa status to work visas if I can get a job offer??We will buy return tickets and if granted a work permit, then fly back to the UK see the family and organise shipping our belongings there.
    We will be staying in Masterton with friends until we find a place to rent.
    Again thanks for any advice.
    Burnsie
    Last edited by burnsie; 4th March 2013 at 02:12 AM.

It is possible to go to NZ as visitors, and get a work visa while there if you get a job offer, yes. But it has to be a skilled job that your qualifications fit you for, and/or one that the employer has found no NZer to do (and they check that out). Look on the INZ website for details of what I'm talking about. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/