Thread: Tips on emigrating to New Zealand article

Default Tips on emigrating to New Zealand article

Hello,
    I found this great sribd article/book. http://www.scribd.com/doc/101980338/...to-New-Zealand Thought it might be useful to folks here. I have no connection to this other than having enjoyed the read.
    Cheers!
    Mic

The authors definitely don't like the US government or Texas!

exactly i too read it all and the comparison seems to say this. any how nice summary
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    The authors definitely don't like the US government or Texas!

There's good reason why for both of those! ~565 people control everything for the entire country, and there is an abundance of conflict of interest that we're now just getting peeks at. Texas is where GWB calls home!

It's just my opinion but I found this to be a terrible "book". It is filled with stereotypes and nonsense. Every time they almost make a good point or address a real concern they fall back on stereotypes and platitudes.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 7th March 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    It's just my opinion but I found this to be a terrible "book". It is filled with stereotypes and nonsense. Every time they almost make a good point or address a real concern they fall back on stereotypes and platitudes.
    totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by LVKris View Post
    totally agree.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bun View Post
    There's good reason why for both of those! ~565 people control everything for the entire country, and there is an abundance of conflict of interest that we're now just getting peeks at. Texas is where GWB calls home!
    That's a bit misleading, isn't it? You are talking about the federal government but every state has its own legislature and government. Depending on what state you live in, you'll also have county/parishes/boroughs gov't. And then if a town or city or principality is incorporated it will also have its own representative gov't. Then you add on the elected judges, school board, coroners, sheriffs etc... So, it's a few more than 565.

GWB might come from Texas but so does Molly Ivins, Jim Hightower and Bill Moyers.

The article would have done better to make real comparisons. Take education in Texas versus education in NZ. It would have been very easy to say that what's happening in some places in TX where political activists are changing curriculum to make it anti-science and rewrite historical facts would be very difficult to do in NZ because of the way the education system works here and the role of the school board as managers rather than policy makers.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 8th March 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Some interesting points. I think if you ignore the author's generalisations, the thing that really bugged me was the spelling of places like Northland, Queenstown, and Newmarket (The North Land, Queens Town, New Market)!!! Petty, I know.