Thread: About JSV and Family

Default About JSV and Family

HI All,

As i mentioned in another thread, now iam waiting for CO's decision. Iam 100% sure that if and only if i get a positive decision from her that would be a JSV visa. During the interview, she said if i granted JSV that will be only for me as iam the principal applicant.My agent confirmed that too.But 2 yrs ago a friend of mine went to NZ with same visa and he was able to take his family with him. My question is, has this rule changed now? why they allow only the principal applicant to go there and find a job? Isnt it bit unfair, specially leaving the loved family behind and trying to find a job without any sort of support? My wife's qualification contributed 20 points to my application, in that case if they grant me JSV, why my wife is not entitle to get jsv as her qualifications contributed 20 point to our SMC application?

Yes, the rules have been changed.

If you apply for Residence under the Skilled Migrant programme, then, after interview, you are offered the Job Search Visa (deferred Residence)...

What has happened is that INZ says you have got nine months to prove you can make a contribution to NZ by getting a skilled job. When you do that, you WILL GET your Residence, and so will all your family members included on the original application.

But the only person who gets a visa to go and look for a job is YOU, the principal applicant. It is you who has to get a skilled job offer, not anyone else in the family. You are expected to go on ahead and concentrate all your resources and attention on fixing yourself up with a job, then when you have done that, the family can join you.

If the worst happens, and you don't get a skilled job offer, you would have to leave NZ at the end of the nine months. There would be a worse upheaval if you had uprooted your whole family from your original homeland, and then you had to take them all back again - it would be a terrible waste of money, for one thing, as nobody but the main applicant is allowed to work on a Job Search Visa.

As the various COs mentioned have been telling people, the only way a partner and family can go along while the main applicant is job hunting is on visitors' visas, but this is not an automatic entitlement, and they can't work during this time.

Thanks for the clarification JandM

There would be a worse upheaval if you had uprooted your whole family from your original homeland, and then you had to take them all back again.
    This is a big reason for the change in the rules. There had been several high publicity cases where a family had come to NZ with their JSV-holder parent, the children had made friends and had settled into school, and maybe the spouse had found a job - then it seemed very hard that they had to tear out all those new beginnings when the principle applicant couldn't get skilled work within the nine months.