Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing swords, fake guns, etc. to NZ

Default Bringing swords, fake guns, etc. to NZ

This is a crazy question. My son and his wife and kids are thinking of making the move to NZ. My son has dual US/NZ citizenship and earns his living as an illustrator (book covers). He does a lot of covers for the sci-fi fantasy young adult market so has a large collection of props and clothing that he needs for his covers, including swords, knives and fake guns. None of these items are real weapons. Does anyone have any experience in bringing these sort of things into NZ? NZ has such a large movie industry, I can't imagine that there's not an allowance for this sort of thing. Thought I'd ask here before calling customs. Thanks!

Edited to add: After posting this, I called customs. I forget I'm back in NZ where real people answer the telephone and you're not on hold for hours. I spoke with customs - no problems on bringing these items to NZ but she said to double-check with the local police as they have the final say.

Leaving this post here in case someone else has a similar question.
    Last edited by Dell; 7th March 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Give your local arms officer a call as you may need a permit to import to bring in them in and it's the arms officer who supplies these.

Was just going to say.., we brought several swords and a dagger (out boys went through the stage where they thought it was the coolest thing to own, the swords are not sharp, the dagger is), and put them right in front in the container, so customs could easily see them and decide what they wanted to do. The swords were absolutely no problem, they are far too big to carry them around without anyone noticing, but the dagger (although still quite big and heavy) was considered a weapon and my husband had to claim it as his and confirm that he would take 'good care'. It then got released (they kept it at a special department, can't remember hat it was called now...) without any further problems.

Thanks newarrival! I cut and pasted your info and emailed it to my son. Happydave, customs also suggested checking with the local police. Thanks!

My oh brought a live Chinese tai chi saber with him...no problem...declared in the container. No problems.

Glad to hear the family are thinking of joining you.

I had a real rifle in our container. I just notified the police and they collected it when the container was opened. Once I had sorted out a licence I picked it up from the police station in Chch. No fuss!

Quote Originally Posted by dell View Post
    i forget i'm back in nz where real people answer the telephone and you're not on hold for hours

We brought several non-edged weapons with us. For some reason, both the moving company and maf were fixated on the spears. We were repeatedly contacted by both facilities asking for details on the nature of the spears. As we put on the paperwork, they were unsharpened, blunt-tipped re-enactment and costume props. They never asked about the swords, axes, or bows and arrows. Everything came through fine though and maf didn't even inspect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    We brought several non-edged weapons with us. For some reason, both the moving company and maf were fixated on the spears. We were repeatedly contacted by both facilities asking for details on the nature of the spears. As we put on the paperwork, they were unsharpened, blunt-tipped re-enactment and costume props. They never asked about the swords, axes, or bows and arrows. Everything came through fine though and maf didn't even inspect them.
    My son would be bringing similar things so this really helps. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I had a real rifle in our container. I just notified the police and they collected it when the container was opened. Once I had sorted out a licence I picked it up from the police station in Chch. No fuss!
    Thanks for this info. He's not bringing any real guns but has a pellet gun that looks like a real gun (he uses it as a prop) so guess he'd have to get it cleared by the police also. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast