Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse Contry

Default Horse Contry

I realize there are different types of horse country. My question is a bit loaded, and it might have to wait until I can get there to see for myself. However, I am in VA and I am about an two hours south of main horse country. Where all the very wealthy people live in their mansions. I don't want to be in that area, however being within striking distance of good horse country would be nice. I am also single so maybe being where I could go and meet people would also be nice. (Where I am right now in the States is beautiful countryside but horrible for meeting people, all of my neighbors are retired, or already married since they were 19......) So which island would be best? With my horses I do show jumping and fox hunting, (yes I know, no fox hunting in NZ, only hare). I also do other things like skiing and snowboarding. I don't mind a little drive, since where I am now everything is at least an hour away, if at all possible I would like to get rid of that long drive to some local fun. Nice views are a plus, they don't have to be the sea, I am not that picky! Any Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that most places in NZ have some form of "horse country". Given the total list of things you are looking for in a place to live, I suggest you have a look at Christchurch or Dunedin.

Ok! That helps! When I was in NZ the first time I was in the North Island in KeriKeri. I didn't get a chance to travel around nearly as much as I would have liked!

There seemed to be a lot of horses around the Cambridge area, when we drove through.

Horse of the Year is in Hawke's Bay. http://www.hoy.co.nz/

Enough said.

We live in Marlborough and my wife has a couple of horses. She even got a job handling draft horses for a local vineyard. We certainly do not live in a mansion!

There is a lot of horse folk from all walks of life here. I suspect its gonna be the same for just about anywhere in NZ.

Everywhere is beautiful.

Plenty of horses here in Cambridge area. Now there are a lot of nice looking studs but no McMansions line NOVA. Let me guess you live nr Middleburg? We moved from Ashburn, Leesburg and hated it there, so much happier in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Plenty of horses here in Cambridge area. Now there are a lot of nice looking studs but no McMansions line NOVA. Let me guess you live nr Middleburg? We moved from Ashburn, Leesburg and hated it there, so much happier in NZ.
    Haha! Yeah that is kind of the "snobby" part of VA too much drama for me! I live in Madison, which is a very different type of horse country, I basically don't have any friends to ride with. I am looking at Dunedin city, and the surrounding areas, and I am thinking of buying a house (after renting to make sure that is where I would like to be!) and boarding my two horses at a barn so I can make friends etc. Plus not having the work of a farm would be nice, I have been doing farm work since I can remember and am kind of ready to take a break and maybe go back to it when I have a partner to help out (Maybe a husband type )

Haha..wow too much drama in NOVA! Are you planning om bringing your horses over? Good luck with everything.

I plan to bring two of them over, right now I have five, two are for sale and the third is my 35 year old show pony, we aren't sure how long he will be with us, but if he is still kicking we will find him a nice home! I have a quote for my dogs and cats, and thankfully it isn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. I can tell you all sorts of stories about the horse people of NOVA, between the horse world loving gossip and facebook, I know just about everything about everyone! It's insane, and that is why we don't live up there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast