Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EOI question

Default EOI question

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and decided to join it after reading some very useful posts...I have a few questions that I need to ask before I start planning on my EOI application.

1 - I am an Indian citizen but residing in US since last 5 yrs (on my work visa). I did my MS here and then found a job here..I will be applying in the Skilled Migrant category but wanted to know if I can apply from US even though I am an Indian citizen??

2 - Since I have a Masters Degree from an accredited US university and I have been working here, is it possible for me to get an exempt for my IELTS examination?

3- What is exactly considered as a close family? My dad's brother is a NZ citizen, although we have a blood relationship would this be considered as close family?

I would appreciate if someone can assist me on this....
    Last edited by Harry221; 10th March 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Hello.

1. Yes, you certainly can apply from wherever in the world you are, regardless of your nationality. The office you have to send to depends on where you are. See the INZ office and fees finder.

2. Yes. As you will see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm, you can submit other evidence of competence in English, besides an IELTS result. Often, officials have a knee-jerk reaction and say, 'Where is your IELTS?' so it is a good idea to write in your covering letter that you are proving English ability by the fact that your degree was taught entirely in English, that you work in an English-speaking environment, and you are living in an English-speaking country - and be prepared to point that out again after submission, judging by what has happened to many applicants. Notice, if there is any doubt about any of your proof, the CO has the right eventually to demand an IELTS score, but with the amount you are able to provide, it shouldn't happen.

3. No, your uncle is not a close enough relative to get your extra points - see the requirements here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30869.htm But when you get to the stage of being interviewed by your CO (assuming you don't get a job offer before that), the fact that he is there and can be assumed to have given you first-hand information, and may well give practical help and advice upon arrival, will be in your favour.

Even if you did your Master's from the US, they may still ask for English proficiency. Generally, you will need a letter from the university/department/Registrar's office stating that English is the only medium of instruction at that institution.

Thanks a lot for this info & I will be in touch later during the process if I have questions...👍

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on.

While I was working on my points table I noticed that if I exclude 10 pts for a close family member in NZ then I am scoring 130 without a job offer. If I can't get an offer, is there any chance my EOI will still be accepted? As per the recent draws it's really tough to say anything about the results...is it still worth taking a chance?

130 is a good score, and the requirements do fluctuate from one draw to another. Is there any chance you could be due for some bonus points - qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage, for instance?

I did count that but I will have to double check before I move forward. I will work on this and will discuss where this takes me to....

Hello, I also have a question regarding the EOIs / Pool and points:

My EOI was submitted 2 moths ago, 130 points, no job offer. I work in EU as a software tester(7 ,5 years). The last 4-5 Pool selections show that if one is in the same situation as me under 140 points, off-shore and no job offer, the chance to be selected from the pool is close to zero.

I`m always trying to find a job ( an email reply takes 1-4 weeks which I think is very very slow ), but still, isn`t it a bit strange, the selection I mean?

INZ are working on a quota for a year at a time, so the selections are done on the basis of how far admissions (that is, instances of Residence granted) are getting on towards the desired total, and how far through the year they are. A wider range of point scores quite often gets taken towards the end of the year.

I don't know if you've seen this old post explaining a different aspect of selection. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ht=#post440482

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast