Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington on $85k

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wellington on $85k

I have a job offer in Wellington for $85k. We would be a single income family of three, with my wife and a one-year-old boy. I don't want to make the move if we're going to struggle. Thoughts?

I think the key is here to see what rentals fit your budget, as rent can easily drain 25%-30% of your income. This is the biggest chunk.

Didn't you already ask this question?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Didn't you already ask this question?
    OP asked about Auckland on $75K

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    OP asked about Auckland on $75K
    Ahh, I knew it was something similar.

ACSlater, I don't remember what your lifestyle or aspirations are so I can only tell you that I believe my family of 4 could live in Wellington quite happily on 85K.

A family of three can survive in Wellington on $85k. As other have mentioned it does depend on the lifestyle you are used to. Do you travel nationally, internationally; eat out at restaurants etc, go to shows/movies; etc. Though at 85k you can live an semi-average lifestyle, from memory the average household income in Wellington is approx $93k.

To keep rental costs lower you might need to consider living in the Northern suburbs like Johnsonville or Tawa; or living in Lower Hutt. Both areas are a moderate commute so will not add to much to your travel costs and rentals can be 20% cheaper than more central parts of Wellington.

Depending where you live, there are a range of internet options and including TelstraClear Cable and if your ISP offers it VDSL.

You could do it, obviously easier than in Auckland on $75,000. You probably wouldn't be having too many international holidays though....
    Check out house rental prices on Trademe. I just looked and there seems to be quite a few properties for $500 pw and less. Which area of Wellington would you be working in?

Thanks, guys. Yes, it was me who started that epic post about Auckland on $75k. Thanks to you guys, I chose to hold out for a better offer, and I'm glad I did!

We're looking in the $450/$500pw range. We'd like to be outside the city, ideally somewhere near the sea. I'm continually amazed at the number of affordable rentals available that have ocean views. But the quality of the interior is far more important than location at this point.

More importantly, I need to be near train/bus service to get into Wellington. We'll have a car, but I want to leave that for my wife during the day.

I'll be working near Courtnay Place.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    Thanks, guys. Yes, it was me who started that epic post about Auckland on $75k. Thanks to you guys, I chose to hold out for a better offer, and I'm glad I did!

We're looking in the $450/$500pw range. We'd like to be outside the city, ideally somewhere near the sea. I'm continually amazed at the number of affordable rentals available that have ocean views. But the quality of the interior is far more important than location at this point.

More importantly, I need to be near train/bus service to get into Wellington. We'll have a car, but I want to leave that for my wife during the day.

I'll be working near Courtnay Place.
    If you want to be near the sea with a good bus route, look at places like Island Bay, Breaker Bay, Miramar Peninsula such as Worser Bay. Lots of places to think about. I would look into the location carefully too as well though, you are not going to be appreciating your pleasant interior if the wind is blowing a force 12 gale straight through your single glazed windows right off the Cook Strait. And check for position too, many of the coastal suburbs are built on hillsides (as indeed is most of Wellington) so some places lose the sun very early in the day.
    Trademe and Metlink for the bus service routes are the two websites you need.

The family and I have just moved home from the US (currently in the Hutt Valley). I thought I was prepared for how bad rentals would be, but I wasn't. A lot of them photgraph really well but are shocking inside. We decided to go a little further north to get an almost new house, paying $400 for a 3bd place. Makes my commute into town a bit brutal but hoping to pick up a job in the valley. Be prepared for the rentals to look worse in person than they do online. But for $450-$500 you should be able to get something reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast