Thread: Am eligible to apply with work integrated Masters Degree

Question Am eligible to apply with work integrated Masters Degree

I am from India, planning to submit EOI form as Skilled migrant to New Zealand.

I have a query regarding this for which I hope I could find the solution from you; please take time to read it and kindly reply to me.
    I completed my Bachelors Degree in Electronics and communications in 2008. After then I started working as SQL server Database Administrator from 2009. Currently I completed 4 years in SQL DBA.

Mean while I had completed my Masters of Science in software Engineering from BITS, Pilani (Most reputed institution in India) in 2012. This is degree is a work integrated program which has been carried by my employer “Cognizant Technology Solutions” in collaboration with BITS Pilani which is considered as a full time degree by International community.

Now my query here is ‘will I am allowed to apply as SQL Server DBA with 4 years of Experience(2009 - 2013) and Masters Degree holder(2012)’ or should I have apply with only my Bachelors Degree?

With Masters Degree, I can earn 10 more points in EOI, which may help me better as I currently don’t hold any job or Job offer in New Zealand.

Thanks for your time,
    Regards,
    Sandeep.

As your qualification is not mentioned here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45790.htm, on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment, it isn't possible to say how INZ would view your Master's - it will have to be assessed by NZQA. You will see that the note states that the MSc degrees mentioned there are counted as 50 points only, and that if anyone feels their degree may be worth more, they will have to ask for NZQA assessment.

Just adding to JandM's comments, be little bit cautious with your graduation and work experience. Some of the threads on this forum mentioned that Bachelors Degree in Electronics and communications doesn't totally align with IT work experience. Someone with similar experience might give more information or correct me here.

Thank you both for your inputs..!

Can you please tell me the chance of EOI with 105 points & 4 years experience in DATABASE ADMINISTRATION ( listed in absolute skill shortage list) & without job offer, getting selected for either residence or work permit

As the selections have been running lately, there is very little chance of an EOI being drawn at 105 points without a job offer. WITH a job offer, anything with 100 or above will be selected at the next draw. The requirements for a work visa normally include having a job offer. I'm sorry if this is depressing. Is there any chance of your making a recce trip to NZ and perhaps getting a job offer?

I can't come to NZ without a job...! can't get a job without a visa..! can't get a visa without a job..! perfect deadlock...

Have to think about alternatives!!

You can travel to NZ as a visitor, and, while there, arrange to see prospective employers. That is perfectly legal. What is not legal is to do any work while on a visitor's visa.