Thread: Visas

Default Visas

There might already be a thread on Visas, if so could someone send me the link? I couldn't find one in the search bar..... I am wondering, would applying for the Silver Fern be a good one? Would I be able to apply for residency with that visa as well? My hesitation about applying for a holiday work visa is I want employers to know I am dead serious about relocating to NZ and I feel like a work holiday since it's only for a year doesn't give employers the confidence. Any suggestions? (I have had one employer email me back asking me which visa I hold, so at least someone is interested!)

There might already be a thread on Visas, if so could someone send me the link?
    There's too much information to convey on threads here. To be really clear about the possibilities and requirements, you need to go to the horse's mouth and look at the INZ website itself. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ Of course, if there's anything you have questions about, you may well find more detail already on a thread here by using the Search, or else post a link to what you want to ask about.

Silver Fern gets processed relatively quickly. But getting one is very hit and miss - there are ONLY 300, to be applied for online when they open, and they're all gone in a very short time (probably within less than an hour). If you get one, you then need to find work in NZ using the skill proved by your qualification. With a skilled job offer, you then have the choice of applying for a Silver Fern Work Experience visa, OR Residence, so it can be a route to Residence if you meet the other conditions.

If you go to NZ on a WHV, you can take any job you are offered. The personal approach can work very well in NZ. Employers really like to look someone in the eye to judge them in person, and it is good when they can see you have taken the trouble to go to their place of business and to know something about them. Also, you can make the point very plainly that you HAVE A VISA and can legally start at once.

Incidentally, you CAN do a qualified job on a WHV. You can do any kind of job that someone will offer you. But it must not be on a permanent contract. If an employer would like to give you a permanent job, and it is the skilled kind that could get you a work visa, he would need to give you a short-term contract (to be in line with your WHV), then an offer-letter that you could show to Immigration NZ.

Thank you! There are so many Visa's and I didn't know where to start! Someone suggested that I do a work holiday and then get a Bunac Visa, and I would be able to squeak two years in.