Thread: Good real estate agent in Whangarei? Christchurch?

Default Good real estate agent in Whangarei? Christchurch?

We're planning to buy some land and build a house for retirement in the next couple of years. Problem is, we're Aussies, currently in the US, and looking for the perfect plot in NZ. We've settled on Whangarei or Christchurch, and are headed back for another look around this June-July.

It would be really, really, really, really useful if we could contact a good agent ahead of time so we could use our looking-around time more efficiently when we're there.

We're far from wealthy, so this isn't about fat commissions. Just looking for someone who knows their area and their business.

Has anyone here had particularly good experiences with someone? I've tried all the usual sources, searched the web, looked through NZHerald, looked through agents' listings. It all comes down to throwing a dart at a board. I hope people here can help me do better than that!

I spent a few days look at property in Whangarei, though I ended up buying further north in Bay of Islands. The agent I dealt with was Leslee Going with Maggie Dixon. leslee@maggiedixon.co.nz Though my association with her was brief, she was professional and knew the area. I was disappointed that I couldn't continue to work with her.

Thanks, Dell! That's exactly the sort of information I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
    Thanks, Dell! That's exactly the sort of information I need.
    Glad to help - but I might add that she was one of the few agents who replied to my emails while I was looking online from the U.S. It seems that many agents don't take you seriously until you're in their office!

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    ... she was one of the few agents who replied to my emails...
    Yes, indeed. The few attempts I've made to establish contacts felt like throwing bottles in the ocean.