Thread: Interview Question from CO on supporting family?

Question Interview Question from CO on supporting family?

Hi Guys

I would like to know what answer a person should give to below question while interview with CO? (I just need your generic inputs)

How will you support your family?
    1) I have sufficient funds to support family {I know this is alright saying to CO}
    2) I will do temp jobs/odd jobs for a time being to support my family and continue job hunting till I get a job in the area of my expertise or a job that suits my profile. {Is this ok to say or should we stick with saying I will do temp job/short term job in the area of expertise to support my family}
    3) Any other inputs or points we can elaborate.

Guys any inputs on above....

I haven't answered before, because there isn't any easy answer for questions like this. Exactly what you would look at will depend on your own skills and knowledge. But here are some thoughts in general. Anybody else, please cut in!

If you can prove you have some funds in hand to support your family, that should take some pressure off follow-up questions. I think it's dangerous to say at interview that you would take jobs in other fields (although of course, in reality, we would all do anything we had to to make a living). A question on this topic needs to be turned, so that you don't get pushed into sounding as if you're expecting the worst. You need to be answering about your planned and strategic (of course!) hunt for skilled work. The CO interview is aimed at assessing your employability - they want to see that you are a skilled worker, who is going to fit into NZ society, and at once get a job to contribute your skill to NZ. (They don't want to hear that you might go and do a low-level unskilled job, as there are plenty of NZers who can do that.)

You need to show that you are aware of the world of work in your industry in NZ - where to look for job advertisements, who to approach for career openings, who the main employers and agents are. You need to show that you have already been in touch with some of these. You need to give some thought to other openings for your skill - for instance, if you are in IT, all large businesses make use of IT in some form, even though that isn't their main purpose - so that perhaps you would be 'stepping sideways' for your first opportunity in NZ. You might also need to 'step down', since it might be necessary to accept a first NZ job with less responsibility than you are used to, in order to get known.

Just sent them via pm