Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geotechnical/ geo environmental/ geo drilling work

Default Geotechnical/ geo environmental/ geo drilling work

Hi all, would like some advice on finding work within the Geotechnical/ geo environmental/ geo drilling sectors out there in NZ. I keep on receiving emails asking for geotech engineers with plenty of experience. I am working here in the UK as a geoenvironmental driller and deal mostly in contaminated land (i dont suppose there is alot of that in the fair isles of NZ). However, I have a geology degree but have failed to find an entry level job in geotechnicals here in the UK. I dont have alot of experience in geotech field but have drilling experience and have learnt the rationale of soil logging/sampling/monitoring ect. What would be my chances (good,bad, or ugly) if i flew out to Christchurch in search of (any sort of) entry level geo work. Thanks for any response

Good, I'd say. Backlogs for geotechnical assessments in Christchurch are still over 6 months. A lack of sufficient equipment is part of the problem, but trained operators are definitely still needed. If you've any experience with CPT equipment, that would be a definite plus.

I actually work in the oil industry and will be moving out to New Plymouth next month as part of a relocation with my company... Not quite geotech drilling but if you're interested in getting into the oil industry, New Plymouth is where most of it is taking place

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Good, I'd say. Backlogs for geotechnical assessments in Christchurch are still over 6 months. A lack of sufficient equipment is part of the problem, but trained operators are definitely still needed. If you've any experience with CPT equipment, that would be a definite plus.

Thats good news thanks for reply.

Im into land drilling really and the sea scares the b'jesus out of me. Thanks for reply thou

Quote Originally Posted by jn100 View Post
    Im into land drilling really and the sea scares the b'jesus out of me. Thanks for reply thou
    Taranaki has land jobs... check out the mangahewa field

Check out the following websites:
    The New Zealand Geotechnical Society , soil and rock description guideline
    http://www.nzgs.org/publications/guidelines.htm
    and
    New Zealand Drilling association
    http://www.nzdrillersfederation.co.nz/nzdfmembers.aspx
    Last edited by JennyV; 20th March 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Hi where abouts in the UK were you working? what sort of drill rig? Rotosonic is poplular here, as are dutch cone tests (CPTu)
    Last year the drilling market boomed, this year its probably somewhat over capacity in ChCh.
    Good lead drillers are alays sought after.
    Also there is a major distinction in NZ between Geotechnical Engineer and an Engineering Geologist (me).
    Feel free to private message me.
    TV

Quote Originally Posted by JennyV View Post
    Hi where abouts in the UK were you working? what sort of drill rig? Rotosonic is poplular here, as are dutch cone tests (CPTu)
    Last year the drilling market boomed, this year its probably somewhat over capacity in ChCh.
    Good lead drillers are alays sought after.
    Also there is a major distinction in NZ between Geotechnical Engineer and an Engineering Geologist (me).
    Feel free to private message me.

TV
    Hi Jenny, thanks for response, have not checked email until now; I tried to PM you but website is not allowing me to do so. Anyhow right now im working in London on contaminated Land site and am an assistant driller (2nd Man) on rotary 205's, 305's and terrier rigs. Ideally I would like to secure an engineering role over drilling and put my degree to use. Looking to find work involving soil logging, sampling and report writing within in the geotech or geoenv sectors in an entry level/junior capacity; I have some experience but im still starting out (however im 35 and been in construction all my life just not geo work specifically). Please do get back and keep me informed of any future possible recruitment. When i get my feet on the ground it would be good to have a few contacts.

J

You have only just made your fifth post - the forum only automatically enables PMing once a new member has made five posts. If you now click on anyone's username above one of their posts, PMing will appear as one option in the drop-down box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast