Thread: randomly picked for US full inspection

Default randomly picked for US full inspection

Has anyone else had the wonderful experience of being randomly selected to have a full container examination by US customs? We are so lucky to be chosen and now we are being charged an extra $2600 to cover the cost. Why do we have to pay for this? This is an extra 30% cost on top of what we have already paid. We are beyond mad.

Quote Originally Posted by LVKris View Post
    Has anyone else had the wonderful experience of being randomly selected to have a full container examination by US customs? We are so lucky to be chosen and now we are being charged an extra $2600 to cover the cost. Why do we have to pay for this? This is an extra 30% cost on top of what we have already paid. We are beyond mad.
    Wow. That sucks. I had no idea that was even a possibility.

How very annoying- why does US custom need to inspect the container? To make sure you don't take anything out of the country you are not supposed to? Sorry if I missed some previous information and you are ctually going back to the US.

It is leaving the US for NZ. It is just a random search of an outgoing container. All of our items are getting taken out of the container and going through an x-ray machine. My husband can't get over it. He is soooo pissed off. Put him in a very fowl mood. It is disgusting how much they are charging.

Have never heard of this. Who is invoicing you the extra $2600?

Schumacher, our shipping company. They gave us the list of fees and it is so stupid. What a load of crap. I don't understand why they the US is looking at a family container rather than an exporter with goods to sell. What do they care what we take out of the country. Are they going to have a problem with the boxes of graham crackers I smuggled in one of the boxes?

I don't understand why they are charging you for a random check. Shouldn't that be funded by import duties and fees? The airline or TSA doesn't charge for random checks of luggage, why should this be different? I really feel for you. Those last few weeks of getting everything sorted are full of little hidden costs at every turn and this just seems above and beyond.

I would definitely contact Customs and request some background information, before I paid a cent or approved any opening of my container (it is supposed to be sealed when it leaves your location). Something sounds quite fishy here.

Called customs they said they did pick it for a random check and the charges arent from them. They are from the contracted company who moved and stored the container for 5 days during inspection. Still think it is a complete load of crap. I knew there was going to be costs I wasn't expecting before we moved.

So sorry to hear this. I've just done a search and found many importers to the US complaining about these random searches and the costs to them, but didn't find anyone else in your situation, of having the search done on the way OUT of the country.