Thread: Disposing of 'stuff'

Question Disposing of 'stuff'

Hi - i'm new to this forum and will probably have hundreds of questions between now and when i move in mid June! I will be disposing of most of my belongings prior to my move and shipping very little. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way of disposing of household items? I was thinking about sending it all to an auction but i wondered if it would be better to E-Bay some things. Any thoughts?
    I'm currently feeling really anxious about the whole thing and i'm not really sure where to start ....

We sold lots of things on E Bay before we came & had a lot less time to do it than you have, it can be fun watching the auction run, I'd get it on there as soon as you can, I don't know anything about auctions though, maybe you could get more money there, or a local paper? Good luck

Thank you - i'll give it a go and see how i get on

When we moved (from the US) We used craigslist, freecycle, and thrift store donations. Not sure if these are all available in the UK but I'm sure there's something similar. In addition, friends picked through stuff and I called a local upholsterer who came and picked though my antiques.

First of all, I would think seriously about whether it would be better to actually ship items which would be expensive to replace. You may find it is more economical and sensible to ship some items rather than replacing them with new items here.

As for getting rid of stuff - if you want to recoup some of your costs, then the obvious things are to have a car boot sale, garage sale, sell on ebay, advertise via local paper, supermarket/newsagent sales boards (the cards you put up in small shops sometimes to advertise things for sale).

Otherwise you can have your friends round and they can take what they want or you can give your stuff to charity shops. I always think it is nice to do a bit of targeted donation - give things to people who can actually use them - eg clothes and household goods to women's refuges etc, old towels to animal shelters, stationery, toys, games etc to schools, books to schools or libraries or friends.

Whatever you do, start early and have a good declutter!