Thread: Resident visa from within NZ

Default Resident visa from within NZ

Hi everyone

I am in the process of finishing up my resident visa application under the partnership category. I am from the US but have been living in New Zealand with my kiwi partner for the past 18 months. I have heard a variety of different reports from other people that have gone through the process. The majority have mentioned that applying within New Zealand takes considerably longer. I was wondering if anyone has recently applied for a resident visa whilst in NZ. What was the processing time like? Does immigration return your passport while a decision is being made? We have travel planned to Australia in June for a wedding and my work visa expires at the end of July. I think my biggest concern at this point is having access to my passport in case I need to apply for another work visa. I will say that my past experience with NZ immigration was outstanding! They were extremely quick with my work visa and so helpful throughout the process.

Any information or stories provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

You can ask for your passport to be returned immediately once they have seen it - that's perfectly normal.

This happened to us in UK, OH had travel plans to Dubai & Kenya and our CO (at NZ House) returned back her passport within 2/3 days after doing necessary checks. Let your CO know about the travel plans and from our little experience they do understand the need.