Thread: Can i apply for NZ Permanent visa

Default Can i apply for NZ Permanent visa

I have been in NZ total 5 years

4 years on work permit in skilled employment and a frequent tax payer.
    1 year on resident visa( Skilled Category) and have been in skilled employment and a frequent tax payer.

I have never been unemployed and I have 2 NZ citizen kids from my ex and currently have been in a defacto genuine relationship with NZ citizen.

I want to apply for a Permanent Residence Visa because i have been here since a long time and i have been a frequent tax payer with clear criminal records.

I do understand that the requirements for granting PR is as below, but do you think that because i have a NZ citizen kids and partner, they might make it an exception ? Please advice ... I have been on resident visa since 8 months now. I have my kids custody on 50%/50% .

I look forward to your response guys :-)

"Requirements for a permanent resident visa
    To be eligible for a permanent resident visa the principal applicant in your original residence application must:
    hold, or have held, that resident visa for at least two years continuously"

Hello.

You say this.
    1 year on resident visa( Skilled Category)
    And the regulations for getting Permanant Residence START with this.
    To be eligible for a permanent resident visa the principal applicant in your original residence application must:
    hold a resident visa, or have held one in the last three months
    hold, or have held, that resident visa for at least two years continuously
    (my bolding, and quoted from here for the rest of the regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm)

So the answer is no, you can't apply for PR yet. All the rules about showing commitment to NZ, lower down that page, depend on this first one, that you have been in living in NZ on a Residence visa for two years. They don't count the time before you got Residence.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any other way around for this 24 months clause