Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journalism jobs in New Zealand.

Default Journalism jobs in New Zealand.

Hi,

I'm currently working as a news reporter on one of the leading national broadsheet newspapers in the UK. I've been in my current position for about five years and am thinking about moving out to New Zealand.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has been in a similar position. From what I've found out so far I think I would prefer to work on one of New Zealand's regional papers. I'm looking at the Christchurch Press in particular as I've got some personal connections to that part of the country. Beyond that I know very little about the industry in NZ e.g. hours, pay etc..

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Nelson

I wasn't aware they have journalism in NZ.

I don't know anything about the industry, but as a consumer, I despair at times.

Good luck anyway, and hope someone with some insider knowledge will be able to help

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I wasn't aware they have journalism in NZ.

I don't know anything about the industry, but as a consumer, I despair at times.

Good luck anyway, and hope someone with some insider knowledge will be able to help

Daniela
    Would have to agree.

Quality of journalism in NZ is utterly shocking - many of the local papers are the only realistic option in a town, but are a combination of the Sun and Daily Mail, lowest common denominator rabble rousers.

Only know a couple of people in the industry, and they're general take is pretty much everyone who works on those papers is desperate to move to work on a "real" newspaper - I think they'd give their left arm to do your job!

So I wouldn't move here for a career move - would be a bit like Wayne Rooney moving from Man United to play for Canterbury United...

Triple agreement !!!. Sometime back I was cracking up one joke to OH that one fine day 6'o clock news presenter would say "sorry, due to shortage of stories we don't have any news today"...few days back it happened for weather report .

Most of the times, its just crime reported in the headlines which are actually called "tonight's top stories"

I particularly hear this lady "Bernadine Olibbbb" in the morning radio news (and if my luck is bad she appears again at 6pm One News), I hear this presenter making at least 2-3 mistakes every 15th minute - once in a while is ok but everyday??.

Nelson - On the plus side, there's lot more to be changed so I hope you will bring that change

I mostly agree with all of the above. I listen to a show on RadioNZ called MediaWatch and last August they had a journalist on who is seeking to address this issue. Listen to it here to hear his take on it: http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...19-august-2012

Unfortunately, he is unable to meet his original goal due to personal reasons but if you agree with his aim, you might be interested in his website: journalism.org.nz

Thanks everyone for the information you've given.

If anyone knows any working journalists that are on this site I'd be very grateful if you could put me in touch with them.

Thanks again for your help.

Nelson

My husband says:
    I'm a US journo who has been working here about 6+ years and have to tell you, like most places NZ is not a great place for journos right now - lots of layoffs and cuts, and I'm afraid that at any small paper in NZ you're going to make a fraction of what you make in the UK. I actually got laid off from a pretty senior job at a major metro last year - fortunately I found work again pretty quickly but there was a certain amount of luck and timing involved. I definitely wouldn't want to be trying to break in to this market right now.

That said, on the other hand I found it very easy to get a job here myself when I first emigrated as the small pool of locals means any experience you have overseas will count well in your favour. Talent still plays a factor. I'd suggest signing up to this Facebook group Kiwi Journalists Association -- http://www.facebook.com/groups/216332661716385/ -- and testing the waters there. Be warned, you'll get a fair bit of disgruntled journos chiming in but there ARE jobs here, you just have to be aware of the conditions and that compared to the US or UK it's a very small country with a very interconnected media market, and "who you know" is quite important IMHO.
    Last edited by Oregonkiwi; 20th March 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks Oregonkiwi.

Very useful information and I will definitely check out the FB page you're recommending. What you're saying about cuts etc is not unexpected. The industry faces the same problems the world over. Also, I'm not too worried about earning less. We do earn more here in the UK but we work hard for it and London is a pretty expensive place to live. I read elsewhere that for a reporter's job on a regional in New Zealand you could expect to earn about $60,000 NZ. Is that about right?

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    My husband says:
    I'm a US journo who has been working here about 6+ years and have to tell you, like most places NZ is not a great place for journos right now - lots of layoffs and cuts, and I'm afraid that at any small paper in NZ you're going to make a fraction of what you make in the UK. I actually got laid off from a pretty senior job at a major metro last year - fortunately I found work again pretty quickly but there was a certain amount of luck and timing involved. I definitely wouldn't want to be trying to break in to this market right now.

That said, on the other hand I found it very easy to get a job here myself when I first emigrated as the small pool of locals means any experience you have overseas will count well in your favour. Talent still plays a factor. I'd suggest signing up to this Facebook group Kiwi Journalists Association -- http://www.facebook.com/groups/216332661716385/ -- and testing the waters there. Be warned, you'll get a fair bit of disgruntled journos chiming in but there ARE jobs here, you just have to be aware of the conditions and that compared to the US or UK it's a very small country with a very interconnected media market, and "who you know" is quite important IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonj View Post
    I read elsewhere that for a reporter's job on a regional in New Zealand you could expect to earn about $60,000 NZ. Is that about right?
    my husband hasn't been working as a reporter so doesn't know for sure, but thinks most reporters would earn quite a bit less than that, especially at a smaller paper

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    my husband hasn't been working as a reporter so doesn't know for sure, but thinks most reporters would earn quite a bit less than that, especially at a smaller paper
    Thanks Oregonkiwi. You've been very helpful.

N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast