Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do .......

Oh and I haven't been to the central library on Tuam St, but the one on Peterborough St is our local and it has computers for just kids to use plus quite a good selection of books and an area for them to read (just make sure you chuck the backpackers out of the kid's seats - they go in the library as it's free wifi!).
    And the sun is never far away here - we hadn't had range for ages before this week. Bad weather never hangs around for long here (unlike in the UK!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jilldo80 View Post
    Unfortunately we're living out of a suitcase so no wellies here
    First rule of your kids becoming Kiwi kids, ditch ANY footwear, including wellies

My favorite cheap activities with kids (but I don't know what is available in Christchurch these days):
    library
    swimming pool
    beach
    walking track (look on regional council and Department of Conservation websites for nearby suggestions)
    playgrounds (on the weekend it's fine to go to a school's playground)
    train rides
    going to a cafe for hot cocoa
    exploring (it's new for everyone!)
    U-pick berries or apples
    Cooking together (even if it's just assembling sandwiches)

We rented a car on weekends before we bought one so the exploring could go further. But we also took buses rather long distances to learn about our area. If I lived in the Christchurch area, I think Akaroa would be a top family explore for us, we have stayed out there before and loved it (also had U-pick peaches on the way).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12