Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food handling with bare hands

Default Food handling with bare hands

I have witnessed staff of food chains like Burger King preparing burgers with bare hands and even handling the wet veggies without using any utensils or gloves. This is an unhygienic practice and is an offence in developed countries.

Can anyone here tell me about relevant laws about this in New Zealand? If it is prohibited, is there a Government department that keeps a check on such practices or takes complaints about these?

Nonsense, most chefs/cooks use bare hands. A clean hand is far better than a dirty glove.

http://www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibra...ter-gloves.pdf

Also this: http://www.foodsmart.govt.nz/elibrar...ting_about.htm

Gloves are not essential under NZ law, but "ready to eat" foods like sandwiches should be served with some sort of barrier, be it gloves, tongs, a bag, etc.

Just don't eat there. I'm sure the fatty food is far worse for you than the hands that prepared it. Seems like a no brainer.

I like Subway outlets for this reason. They use disposable clear plastic gloves to serve/prepare sandwiches. Also I would not worry if the food joint is rated 'A' for food safety, which I think most fast food chains are.

Quote Originally Posted by webmister View Post
    I have witnessed staff of food chains like Burger King preparing burgers with bare hands and even handling the wet veggies without using any utensils or gloves. This is an unhygienic practice and is an offence in developed countries.

Can anyone here tell me about relevant laws about this in New Zealand? If it is prohibited, is there a Government department that keeps a check on such practices or takes complaints about these?
    I have worked in commercial kitchens in "developed" countries and never had to wear gloves. Perhaps you could invest in a bubble suit.

I know several chefs, not one of them wears gloves and if you look at the numerous cooking programmes on tv they do not wear gloves

I always thought the bread was only there to stop your fingers getting too greasy.

I do think that there is a requirement for staff to wear gloves for handling food. Having said that, I commonly eat food and cuisine from cooks who handle food with bare hands, sweat gleaning from their foreheads, wiping it with their arms or nearby towel which incidently appears to also be used for wiping other things (ahem) and I am still alive and well. This still hasn't stopped Singapore for being one of the best places in the world for exciting, delicious food.

DS informs me that Maccas require them to wear gloves at any time they are handling or cooking food.

Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast