Hello - can any of you give some pointers on how I should tackle my move from SF to Auckland? Am going on the Bunac work exchange visa. My goal is to arrive by February 2014. I have a dog that I want to take with me. He is approx 10lbs, fixed, vaccines up to date etc. I don't have many belongings aside from my clothing and a few housewares. The largest piece of furniture is my dresser. Thats about it - mostly pictures, books, clothing, shoes, 3 cast iron pots lol

Should I put this stuff in storage until I am settled in NZ with an apartment. I find it would be a hassle to have to return to the states and arrange all of that to be shipped.
Do you know what the average rental rates are for a studio in Auckland? How much money is a good amount to have for a move like this? $8k $10k ? Less? should I land and look for a room in a house that accepts pets and stay for a month or two, get a job then ship my stuff over and look for a studio?

What are y'all's thoughts? Am I nuts?
All suggestions are greatly welcomed.

P.s I have three friends that I know who permanently reside in Auckland if that makes a difference.

Thank you