Thread: Electrical Applicances

Default Electrical Applicances

I'm wondering what electrical appliances we should bring and which we should leave behind. The biggest issue, of course, is the voltage incompatibility. I've heard it's both dangerous and inefficient to run your appliance through a converter in perpetuity. Do I have to get the appliances rewired? Or sell them and replace them in NZ with the correct voltage?

Also heard that our flatscreen TV isn't going to work over there.

Define appliances??

We didn't bother bringing anything (except computers).

Brought our 2008 Vizio and it works. We use it with a plug converter as it has the little input 100-240 mark on the back and HDMI cord set up to tv box.
    Other items we brought because they had 100-240 mark on back that we use with plug converter: laptop, portable DVD player, camera battery chargers, iPod chargers, Kindle chargers. We left all kitchen and bathroom appliances as none we owned were able to handle input without transformer. I had a refrigerator that I was going to bring and started the research to see if I could bring it but decided it was too big. Wish I had.

Most electronic type appliances i.e TV's, stereo systems, DVD machines have a voltage range input of about 100VAC-250VAC and frequency input of 50Hz-60Hz (this information you will find on the device itself. Usually a small sticker).

These appliances you would more than likely just need a socket adapter so that you are able to plug it in.

However, appliances such as kettles, toasters and so on are probably best left behind. They generally don't use electronics internally to regulate/convert the voltage. These items you would probably need a source converter.

This old thread could help. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=591