Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland vs Wellington

Default Auckland vs Wellington

The company my husband got job in has got offices in various locations through out the country. The original offer made to us was to work in Wellington office but now they would want us to consider working in Auckland, because that's where they would set up a technical team which my husband would lead.

I have to start searching all over again, if we think Auckland might be a better place to move to career wise.

I have got few questions about Auckland, as obviously it's a bigger and busier city

1) is living in Auckland more expensive then Wellington?

2) what's a good area to rent in Auckland with good schools near CBD?

3) what are different school boards in Auckland? How are they different? And which one is better?

4)your opinion about living in Auckland or Wellington? Which one would u choose?

About question 2, where is the business that your husband would need to get to each day? - that could make quite a difference.

Sorry, can't help with Auckland but I can tell you lots about Wellington if you have any questions about Wellington specifically.

I can only answer 4)your opinion about living in Auckland or Wellington? Which one would u choose? & I would choose Wellington but then I've never been to Auckland Well stayed a night in Henderson & drove hubby to the rugby game, hated it to be honest, the roads were so busy compared to Wellington & it had motorways like the UK. I think if I had to live up there I wouldn't be able to afford the areas that I would like anyway but as for Wellington it's just nice & small & everywhere is easily accessible, we live just 10 mins out of the city & love it, easy drive to the city, beach or countryside, lovely restaurants & cafes, the weather isn't even as bad as people make out, so Wellington would win hands down for me

Auckland is a huge area, but it is not all built up and motorways - within it there is a great variety of possible living spaces, so anyone has a choice, depending on what they like, and where they need to get to regularly, hence my question above.

I would imagine being bigger city usually something is more expensive. But I think it's not massively different.

If you live in Parnell area, that is one up scale area with good school. Epsom, Remuera, Mt Eden are good area with very good schools. Public and Private.

3) what are different school boards in Auckland? How are they different? And which one is better?
    This I can't answer, as I don't know. Sorry.

4)your opinion about living in Auckland or Wellington? Which one would u choose?
    We have visited both cities in 2005. To be honest we both love Welli better, but being smaller city I was a bit worried about finding a job. So decided to live in Auckland. But if I have to turn back the clock and job is already there for me, Wellington for me. That way I can see lots of Lord of the Rings, Hobbits related things easier hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by xanctus View Post

But if I have to turn back the clock and job is already there for me, Wellington for me. That way I can see lots of Lord of the Rings, Hobbits related things easier hahahahaha
    Funny you should say that as just yesterday I saw one of the very large trolls on the back of a lorry.

As JandM points out, "Auckland" is quite varied, really more of a region with different looks and feels. There's beach, bush, farmland type areas, etc. The actual 'city', or central Auckland, is actually quite small. The area where you are looking to live very much depends on where you work or how are you want to commute. From your email, I take it it will be in the CBD?

Yes, especially housing.

Really depends on what you are looking for. If closeness to the CBD is a factor, then as suggested, Mt Eden, Parnell, Remuera are close.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'school boards'. Each school has its own board of governors, and ultimately, all schools are answering to the Ministry of Education.

I find Auckland small and provincial, so I would never consider moving anywhere even smaller and more provincial than this. I also find the surrounding areas of Auckland (Coromandel, Northland) more appealing than what is around Wellington. But really, this is such a personal preference and depends on what you are looking for, what you consider important for your quality of life, what your priorities are, etc.

Daniela

Wellington is small, but it is definitely not provintial. An amazing amount of international diversity and cosmopolitan options given it's small size and location in the middle of the southern Pacific.

We lived in Chicago and spent a month in London prior to coming to New Zealand, and certainly Wellington is much, much smaller, but I have not fInd it to feel more provincial . Wellington punches way above it's weight compared to many larger cities, particularly when compared to the US. But it is still geographically remote, which is part of being in New Zealand. You certainly are reminded where you are every day here, if only by the stunning harbor. But I'm often amazed at how much great food, culture and international diversity is in this tiny antIpodal city.

Auckland does come up a but short when compared to other larger cities like Sydney, simply because New Zealand is too small for a world class city. But Wellington is on such a smaller scale so you can have small town advantages of being able to drive or walk from urban to trails to harbor with little hassle, and yet still has the feel of "real city." I think it is one of the greatest small cities in the world, but that certainly does not mean it will be the right choice for everyone. But if you have a good job here it is tough to beat.
    Last edited by tk1; 23rd April 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Yeah but the Wellington is windy city, so you can get sick if you go to run - exercise in nature...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast