Thread: sell our car to pay for an immigration agent?

Default sell our car to pay for an immigration agent?

Haha. just kidding. Not when you all folks are so full of helpful knowledge and experience.

So here's the low down on our immigration situation:

-We are a family of 3 (2 adults, one toddler) from the States.
    -We love New Zealand!
    -My husband's career is on the skills shortage list.
    -Without a job offer, we ould have just over 100 points on our EOI.
    -With a job offer, we would have over 150 points.
    -In order to complete and submit our EOI, we have to complete NZ certifications for my husband's trade (which would require a safety course that can only be completed in New Zealand) and complete the NZQA stuff.

Here's our dilemma:

We can't decide whether to pursue the skilled migrant residence visa...or just try to secure a job offer and get a temporary work visa, then apply for residence once we are there. (yes, yes, I know..."employers are not likely to hire you without a visa." Well, there are plenty of immigrant who have secured job offers before obtaining a visa, so it must be possible.)

I'm just looking for some additional opinions, and input regarding this before we make a decision on which course to pursue.
    Start applying for jobs now?
    Wait, and jump through all the hoops to get a residence visa first?
    other options?

Cheers, all!

Hi. There's no one answer to this. It's always hard getting a job from afar - but not impossble - it depends on your husband's skills and experience and a small measure of luck! If you really only have just over 100 points without a job offer, you will definitely need that offer to get your EOI selected. You also need a job offer for a Work Visa. Just a thought... how long is the safety course? If it's less than 3 months, there may be a loophole here as you might not need a student visa for the training. It's a big ask to take the whole family to NZ on the off chance. What about your husband making some contacts for jobs and see how it goes. If it is proving tough, consider him going over for a few weeks and getting job interviews while there and maybe doing the safety training???? If you get a job offer, the employer probably wants you there asap. So, if you do get a job offer, might be easier going on a Work Visa - shoudln't take more than 3 - 4 weeks once all the paperwork is lodged. Once there, you would have a very good chance of residence once your husband has been in the job for a few months so long as none of you have any potential "hiccups" such as health problems or character issues, it could be the best solution. Are you considering Christchurch as a location? I am told that the third quarter of this year is when they are expecting most of the trade jobs to be advertised (came from INZ yesteday!). So, there you have it - free advice from a Licensed Immigration Adviser who just enjoys helping people get where they want to go! Cheers. Karen

Thank so much Karen!

My husband in an industrial electrician. He has already been to NZ recently, and met with the human resource personnel at Newmont in Waihi. He got a few other contacts in the Bay of Plenty and Taranaki while he was there. As far as our EOI application goes, it's pretty straight forward for us...no health issues, no criminal background, have fairly significant savings reserved to support us for some time if need be after we arrive (though we of course hope not to need it), have been to NZ and already have friends there so we won't be total newbies when we arrive, etc...
    The only hiccups we're encountering in the immigration process is the whole "no visa, no job offer...no job offer, no visa" dilemma. The safety training for the EWRB, as far as I know, takes only a few days, but he must fly back to NZ to do it. He has already got all of the other EWRB paperwork for the certification ready. And we're working on his NZQA stuff currently. I guess we'd just rather not have to pay for additional round trip airfare for that safety class with only the hope that our EOI will be selected. But we have made the decision to move to NZ and it's a decision we're committed to, so if that's what we must do, then that's what we must do.

just try to secure a job offer and get a temporary work visa, then apply for residence once we are there. (yes, yes, I know..."employers are not likely to hire you without a visa." Well, there are plenty of immigrant who have secured job offers before obtaining a visa, so it must be possible.)
    I'd pursue above one if that's possible, in that way you might actually have feel of NZ before making the move & also as your toddler wont have to be schooling. SMC might sometimes be time consuming route and all this while you might have to feel the split of not completely being in NZ vs leaving the country of residence - ultimately either ways your goal seems to be the same

All the best with your decision