Thread: NZ Primary school fees for australian citizen

Default NZ Primary school fees for australian citizen

How much are NZ primary school fees for an australian citizen?

Thanks

iI. I am 99.9% certain that as an Australian Citizen you will be treated as though were a NZ Citizen and you will not have to pay any fees at a State school. Even at tertiary level, you only pay normal fees, not international. Cheers. Karen

There are fees at NZ schools. It depends on the school and the number of children you have attending. Our school is 60 (80 per family), plus 20 for "Mathletics", plus 20 for records. We paid 50 for stationery. We paid nothing for uniforms because our school wears mufti clothes. They can be pretty pricey. The first school my child attended it was 40 for a long sleeve polo shirt and 50 for a fleece jumper. However, they have a resell shop where you can buy old uniforms (which I found out about after I forked out 150 on uniforms) so you might want to check if your child's school has this. There are also various fees for camps, activities, and field trips. My neighbour's children go to a Christian school and their school fees are 700. That includes all stationery, fees, activities, camps and bus service but not uniform. Like Karen said, there are no additional fees for Australian citizens and you may enrol as a domestic student:
    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...AppendixA.aspx
    and
    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...AppendixB.aspx

You'll have the normal 'donations' that domestic students have as well. As mentioned in another thread, those can be anything between nothing and more than $1000 per year depending on decile and number of children you have at the school. Technically, they are voluntary.

There are also 'state integrated' schools that mainly seem to be faith schools (but don't get me started on tax money being used to finance faith based education...), they have fees that are somewhere between state and private schools.

As Kiwieagle points out, there's stationary and uniforms, which can add up if you have to get it all at the same time for numerous children.

Daniela