Thread: single person moving to new zealand

Default single person moving to new zealand

Hi, I'm 27 and planning on moving to New Zealand from Wales. I would be doing the move alone. Is this a feasible option? I am a qualified carpenter and have been told that my trade is in demand. I have a seminar in May which is about a move to New Zealand. What are rough costs, would I be be getting a part time visa for 3yrs or get the full?

Hi. It's quite feasible to move to NZ alone. Carpentry is only on the Canterbury Skills Shortage List so far as I can see. There is a real chance of jobs in the Christchurch area becoming available between July and October accordng to INZ. A couple of thoughts. Do you have a qualification, if so, what si it? You woudl need something equivalent to NZ's level 4 - that's a bit higher than a BTEC Diploma - but, sometimes work expereince plus a lower qualification will do the trick. As you are under 30, one thing you could do would be to apply under the Working Holiday Scheme. This woud give you up to 23 months in NZ during which you could work for up to 12 months and study for up to 6 months. Obviously you would be making lots of contacts during this time and would defintiely improve your chances of getting a job in NZ leading to a Work Visa and then residence, all being well. The cost of a Working Holiday Visa for a UK Citizen is only £85. If you apply for the 12 month one initially, you won't even need to have a medical or xray. have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm. let me know if oyu need more help. Good luck! Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. It's quite feasible to move to NZ alone. Carpentry is only on the Canterbury Skills Shortage List so far as I can see. There is a real chance of jobs in the Christchurch area becoming available between July and October accordng to INZ. A couple of thoughts. Do you have a qualification, if so, what si it? You woudl need something equivalent to NZ's level 4 - that's a bit higher than a BTEC Diploma - but, sometimes work expereince plus a lower qualification will do the trick. As you are under 30, one thing you could do would be to apply under the Working Holiday Scheme. This woud give you up to 23 months in NZ during which you could work for up to 12 months and study for up to 6 months. Obviously you would be making lots of contacts during this time and would defintiely improve your chances of getting a job in NZ leading to a Work Visa and then residence, all being well. The cost of a Working Holiday Visa for a UK Citizen is only £85. If you apply for the 12 month one initially, you won't even need to have a medical or xray. have a look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm. let me know if oyu need more help. Good luck! Karen
    Hi Karen, thanks for the reply. I have a NVQ 3 in carpentry. I would be looking towards middle to end of the year. Would you recommend going through a company or sorting it out yourself? Would the training involve the trade or something completely different?

Hi. Applying for a Working Holiday Visa is done online on the link I gave you before. If you only apply for 12 months initially you won't need a Police Check or medicals . All you will need is to show you have sufficient funds for looking after yourself and a return ticket to the UK. The maintenance funds for 12 months is $4200 that's £2304.62 at today's exchange rate. Once you get your visa (it takes a couple of weeks) you have 12 months in which to go to NZ to start the Working Holiday. You don't really need help. I am a Licensed Immigration Adviser, but this one is so easy that I don't think you need my help. If you do, feel free to ask. I won't charge you for this. Kind regards. Karen

.. sorry and if you choose to spend some of the time doing training, you can decide what you study. If you have made contact with a potential employer, they could guide you as to what would be useful. You don't have to study or work, you can if you want to!

hi again Karen,

Just a quick question, have you heard of Borey Chum I was pointed in his direction regarding move to New Zealand.

Hi. Yes, I know Borey - he is a Licensed Immigration Adviser based in the UK (as I am) so we meet at INZ London regularly. I have heard good things about him from previous clients. However, if you want to start with a Working Holiday Visa, I don't believe you need much help, if any. Having NVQ Level 3 as your highest qualification, your success for any other type of visa will depend on the exact Skilled Job you want, where you want to settle etc. If the skill level is 4 or 5, the longest visa you would get would be for 12 months and require a job offer and a labour market test to ensure there are no NZ candidates available to do the work, so a Working Holiday could be a lot quicker, cheaper and easier. Once in NZ, you could look for work and establish a good reputation with a NZ emplpyer. If you need help to get this sorted, feel free to send me a Private Message and I will keep an eye on you without charging. Kind regards. Karen