Thread: Visitors Looking for Work

Default Visitors Looking for Work

We have friends back in the UK who are starting to think about a move out here and are hoping to visit us soon . Are they allowed to look for work while they are here or do they need some sort of Job Search Visa to do that? I've given them links to various recruitment sites online so they can get started from there.

They would be allowed to look for work and meet prospective employers and agents, but they absolutely must not work at all until they have a work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/

Are they arriving under the usual visa-waiver arrangement for UK citizens? Although the above is true, the face of immigration that you encounter at the airport do not seem to have that at the forefront of their minds, and they're keen to know that each visitor is there for a limited time and intending to leave again.

Yes, UK citizens coming out under the usual visa-waiver arrangement. Just good to know that although it's not their primary objective, they are at liberty to look around the job market while they are here.

Many thanks for that.

[QUOTE=RejjieM;476504]Yes, UK citizens coming out under the usual visa-waiver arrangement. Just good to know that although it's not their primary objective, they are at liberty to look around the job market while they are here.

Many thanks for that.[/QUOTE

Immigration NZ issue visitor Visas for that purpose only and they are not issued so people can visit NZ to look for work.

If you tell Immigration that you are going to visit and then look for work it will be frowned upon and you could be seen as being in breach of the conditions of your visa.

If you came for the sole purpose of visiting and then by chance happen to stumble upon a job suited to you, then, this is a different story and more acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by ian5708 View Post
    Immigration NZ issue visitor Visas for that purpose only and they are not issued so people can visit NZ to look for work.

If you tell Immigration that you are going to visit and then look for work it will be frowned upon and you could be seen as being in breach of the conditions of your visa.

If you came for the sole purpose of visiting and then by chance happen to stumble upon a job suited to you, then, this is a different story and more acceptable.
    Not totally correct. I applied for visitor visa about 5 years back and clearly mentioned to the processing officer that my intention was to search for job in that trip and if I succeeded then will take up work after applying and having appropriate Work Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Not totally correct. I applied for visitor visa about 5 years back and clearly mentioned to the processing officer that my intention was to search for job in that trip and if I succeeded then will take up work after applying and having appropriate Work Visa.
    5 years ago is a long long time ago and Immigration Policies change quite significantly and quickly sometimes twice within a year. If there is any doubt I suggest that the original poster phones INZ to confirm.

I recently met someone from Europe visiting NZ. He had his work permit application rejected at he told INZ that he came to NZ as a visitor to look for work.

Quote Originally Posted by ian5708 View Post
    5 years ago is a long long time ago and Immigration Policies change quite significantly and quickly sometimes twice within a year. If there is any doubt I suggest that the original poster phones INZ to confirm.

I recently met someone from Europe visiting NZ. He had his work permit application rejected at he told INZ that he came to NZ as a visitor to look for work.
    So how does that justify for people who have been coming here on recce? Use search functionality and you will see what I'm talking about. I haven't seen any black & white Immigration Policy which backs your point. Can you share that please? That will be very helpful.

BTW, I'm not able to comprehend any situation when someone just "stumbles across job" during a visit and that would be more acceptable?? Do you mean there's a situation when a person with visitor visa just gets a job even without looking/applying for one? I'm in a different country then

ian5708, post #8 here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39430 gives the background to the forum answers on this point.