Thread: Residency together with Work permit (WTR) - from UK or NZ?

Default Residency together with Work permit (WTR) - from UK or NZ?

Hi all

I have a skilled offer of employement from NZ and my employer is giving me a Work to Residence visa (i.e. in 2 years residency). However, I intend to apply for skilled migration residency at the same time (180 points). My employer needs me in NZ by 1 June 13 and hopefully work permit will arrive before that but I understand residency will take time to process. I am not sure whether once I arrive in NZ then apply for residency or apply from UK? Because when I will go from UK to NZ my residency application will also needs to be changed from INZ UK office to INZ NZ office.

Does this make things easier to apply from UK or easier once in NZ, as do not have to change UK address to NZ once in NZ?

Any help and past experience would be much appreciated. So the question stands "from UK or from NZ"? Am I also correct to think that rules may change in June 13 which could impact my application in case I wait to apply from NZ?

I am planning to apply residency at my own i.e. without hiring licensed advisors.

Many thanks in advance
    Zaryab

I think you might be in better control if applied from NZ, likewise you will have some experience of living here and also have feel of NZ. You might lose some time when application (and supporting documents) are transferred from one branch to other [that's roughly based on our experience)

Why do you think the rules may change in June, 2013?

Hi Sun777 many thanks for your reply.

Hi JandM I am not very sure how this works, the rules change every year in UK so I may be mistakenly thinking same for NZ. Apologies.

Am I right in considering when I will submit work to residence and submit my medical and police certificates, I am not required to submit these again when I will submit my residency within short period of time i.e. my plan is to apply for residency once in NZ and likely time will be June/July 2013 and I am applying for work to residence visa next month in April 2013.

Also are the processing time frames longer in NZ compared to UK for processing residency applications?

You guys are star, very helpful.

Thanks

Am I right in considering when I will submit work to residence and submit my medical and police certificates, I am not required to submit these again when I will submit my residency within short period of time i.e. my plan is to apply for residency once in NZ and likely time will be June/July 2013 and I am applying for work to residence visa next month in April 2013.
    Yes, that's right - the one lot will do for both. See the Health Requirements and Character Requirements sections here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35017.htm

Time frames - in general, probably, particularly as you'll have a work visa first, but all INZ timings are elastic, and it's not possible to be certain or precise, EVER.

There's no set regular time for changes to INZ regulations. Anything happening is announced here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ormation/news/

That is sweet, many thanks.

I am hoping if you can also share you experience with my two questions on EOI:

a) I now understand that I need to mention my and my wife's family members (parents and siblings). Do I need to mention any other family members as well i.e. spouses of my siblings and their children or my uncles for example (the list would be never ending)? I think just my and my wife's parents and siblings are needed and no more !

b) Do I have to claim points for all my qualifications (I have multiple professional qualifications and any one of them would get me level 7)? Similarly for my wife's qualifications do I to claim points for that as currently I have 180 points (without claiming any points for my wife's graduation). Is is fine or I have to/a must to declare and claim points for my wife's graduation? I think its up to me to decide whether I need to claim points or not !

Thanks in advance

a) SOMEWHERE on the INZ site there is a list of what degrees of relationship you need to go to for this, and at the moment, I can't find it. Can anyone else help?

b) No, you don't need to go through the process for qualifications that you don't need for your application, either for yourself or your wife. In general, it's fine to stick to a qualification that relates to the skill you are putting forward to show you are qualified for the career you're proving under Skilled Migrant.

Hi. The application form asks for details of living relatives of you and your partner - specifically mother, father, siblings and children. This includes step-brothers ands sisters, half-brothers and sisters and adopted siblings. In relation to parents, it includes guardians or grandparents if both parents are dead and grandparents are living. It doesn't ask for their partner's details. For children =- it's all - yours, your partners, adopted etc. It's all about who else might try to get to NZ on the basis of your relationship with them. Hope this helps. Karen

Hi JandM and Karen

That is really helpful and serves the purpose of the information. I am providing details of our child, parents and siblings only. I would have also thought providing details of spouses and children of siblings would be a very long list and hence should not be needed

Many thanks again
    Zaryab