Thread: SMC residency application being assessed

Default SMC residency application being assessed

Well, it sat in the queue for nearly three months before someone picked it up, but my SMC residency application is now being assessed. The case officer emailed me directly and said she did a quick initial assessment of my application and didn't need any further information. I think/hope that's a good sign I'll be approved for residency, and soon.

When my application was lodged in January, they sent along a note saying it'd take 9-12 months to process. That freaked me out, because my then-current visa expired at the end of March. Through some dedicated wrangling between my employer and immigration, I was able to get another visa through the beginning of October… but I still worried INZ wouldn't even start processing my application until after my work visa expired.

Just the fact that they've started assessing my visa "already" is a huge load off of my mind.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to finish the assessment and make a decision? I know it depends on a lot of different factors; I'm hoping that the fact that I'm from an English-speaking country, have a postgraduate degree I earned in New Zealand, and have been living here continuously since mid-2008 will all work in my favour.

That's a positive sign, do keep track on how other applications from US are progressing which usually gives rough idea on the trend.

HI. If you're in NZ now (as I assume) the office processing your application will depend on whereabouts in NZ you are. In the UK INZ London will expedite an application where the person has a job offer that won't be held open or where othe visa issues are involved. I agree with Sun777 that it would be worth an email to your CO to ask this question and to make sure they are aware of the end date of your current visa. One of the key factors is having all the correct paperwork, forms filled in completely etc. It sounds like you have done this, so hopefully, it should work out for you. Good luck! Karen

It is something we have often heard on the forum, that people in NZ already working, and applying for Residence, don't get a high priority for fast processing. Maybe the feeling is, 'What's his hurry? He's already legally working.' However, it's also often happened that whenever someone writes in, pointing out that their existing visa is within a couple of months of running out, and asking if their Residence is likely to clear in time or if they ought to get some other visa to cover the gap, it very often happens that the Residence magically clears within a very short time. Good luck!