Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rejected a Job Offer in Auckland

Default Rejected a Job Offer in Auckland

Had a job offer in Auckland but unfortunately the base renumeration did not meet my minimum expectation and I rejected it.

Fate has it that Auckland and I are not meant for each other.. for the time being. Maybe later.

I am a permanent resident of Australia.

sorry, that is rough, have you tired looking in all parts of the country? Sometimes just getting your foot in the door is the thing to do, once there then maybe you can look around and move about?

I feel sorry, but not surprised. Thousands of Kiwis move to Oz for exactly the same reason, so this was expected. All the Best!

The sad truth is, New Zealand's renumeration is not competitive and this makes it hard for New Zealand to attract the best talents. I am kind of sorry to have given the potential employer hope that I may accept their offer. But after doing the sums carefully, the package (or lack of it) just doesn't work out. 50000 Kiwis left for Australia in 2012 and there is a good reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
    I feel sorry, but not surprised. Thousands of Kiwis move to Oz for exactly the same reason, so this was expected. All the Best!

If I have New Zealand residency only, I would have done exactly that.

I am holding on to Australia's PR and therefore I will get my foot in the door of a job in Australia and then work my way around/up. Going to New Zealand on an Australian PR is not such a good idea from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Badvixen View Post
    sorry, that is rough, have you tired looking in all parts of the country? Sometimes just getting your foot in the door is the thing to do, once there then maybe you can look around and move about?

I am a Singaporean myself so I don't see why are you here trying to 'boast', that you have an Ozzie PR instead of a NZ PR. Have you nothing else to do?

If I were you, I would be looking for jobs in Australia if I have an Oz PR, because NZ will never pay you what you want. So be happy in Oz.

Do note that as an OZ PR, you must spend 3 out of 5 years in Australia otherwise you lose your residency status. This is a permanent requirement and pretty much holds until you become an Australian citizen.

Of course you have to give up your Singapore citizenship once that happens. So your ability to live and work in Singapore after obtaining OZ PR is hampered. I know of basically 2 Singaporeans who gave up their OZ PR because they prefer to work in Singapore. I hope you read the fine print on that.

A NZ PR is permanent for life, pretty much after you fulfill the 2-year visa stay. We just met a Singapore-Kiwi couple who has been away from NZ for 15 years and still she is a PR still after all these years. Right now I am in Singapore and we are saving quite a lot for our 2nd time around, working our butts off.

This is one of the reasons why we for apply NZ PR besides several other altrustic reasons such as the beauty of the place, work-life balance, friendly people and an excellent quality of life.

Happy hunting!

I am not boasting anything. I believe the information that I have can benefit forummers who might be in the same situation as me. What I have presented are my experience and my observations.

Is New Zealand losing 50000/year of their working age people to Australia a problem for the New Zealand economy?

Has the loss of manpower opened up doors for migrants in New Zealand? Yes, definitely.

Does it matter (to a migrant choosing between Australia and New Zealand) that Australia's salary range is higher for the same job compared to New Zealand? Yes it does.

Does people in New Zealand cares if New Zealand pays lower than Australia? No one would if there isn't a Trans-Tasman agreement.

Can New Zealand pay it workforce well? Right now it isn't but it should work its way up the value chain so that all of the residents in New Zealand benefits. Sweeping things under the carpet doesn't make the problem go away.

There must be some kind of inferior complex developed in New Zealand when ever someone mentions Australia. If this is not the case, why was the word "boast" in the first sentence of your reply?

Hi Otaku,

Thanks for the well wishes.

All the best and have fun in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku View Post

Hi Batgirl,

It is rather strange that you have to in Singapore to earn a living and have savings in order to go back to live in New Zealand. Why can't New Zealand support its permanent residents, those who are willing to put in a hard day's work for a good wage?

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    I am a Singaporean myself so I don't see why are you here trying to 'boast', that you have an Ozzie PR instead of a NZ PR. Have you nothing else to do?

If I were you, I would be looking for jobs in Australia if I have an Oz PR, because NZ will never pay you what you want. So be happy in Oz.

Do note that as an OZ PR, you must spend 3 out of 5 years in Australia otherwise you lose your residency status. This is a permanent requirement and pretty much holds until you become an Australian citizen.

Of course you have to give up your Singapore citizenship once that happens. So your ability to live and work in Singapore after obtaining OZ PR is hampered. I know of basically 2 Singaporeans who gave up their OZ PR because they prefer to work in Singapore. I hope you read the fine print on that.

A NZ PR is permanent for life, pretty much after you fulfill the 2-year visa stay. We just met a Singapore-Kiwi couple who has been away from NZ for 15 years and still she is a PR still after all these years. Right now I am in Singapore and we are saving quite a lot for our 2nd time around, working our butts off.

This is one of the reasons why we for apply NZ PR besides several other altrustic reasons such as the beauty of the place, work-life balance, friendly people and an excellent quality of life.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by civicblade View Post
    Hi Batgirl,

It is rather strange that you have to in Singapore to earn a living and have savings in order to go back to live in New Zealand. Why can't New Zealand support its permanent residents, those who are willing to put in a hard day's work for a good wage?
    I can't decide whether you are being daft on purpose or just ignorant. Why not try the link below, they'll most likely appreciate your contribution.

http://expatexposed.com/forum/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast