Thread: Import transaction fee?

Question Import transaction fee?

Hey everyone, I've just shipped ten boxes from the UK in a groupage container to Wellington. Arrived after weeks of tracking and switching ship three times BUT I have just received an invoice from NZ Van lines for Import Transaction fee. They are saying it is $46 but customs say total of $38.07 (inc GST and MAF inspection). Anyone else been charged this or anyhthing different?

Funny, we got hit with a whole bunch of extra costs by them! We've raised a query, so will let you know what they say. We have some very dodgy additional fees where it isn't very clear what these are.

And I am still contesting an alleged MAF fee the NZ deliverers are demanding. When I asked for the receipt - they sent an invoice of their own. When I insisted on the MAF receipt, their rep said he is not obligated to send one. And I wrote back no receipt - no payment. He hinted sending the case to their legal team. Am I looking forward to meeting them! Just curious - MAF fees are not customs fees, are they?

No, they're not. They're fees for a MAF official to come out and inspect the contents of anything which appears from the inventory as though it might contain any risk to biosecurity. (They CAN require to inspect anything they want to, but it's usually based on the description given, and saying 'miscellaneous' is asking for it!) The more things they have to have opened, the more they charge.

In the email they sent me it has an invoice but it is just to them. When I questioned the amount the lady replied that the extra cost was because they had submitted it electronically through their broker deferred account and it was their charges on top of custom's charges.

There is nothing in my boxes that would be of concern to MAF, and I ticked "no" on all the paperwork when asked if I had any restricted/questionable items etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkii0901 View Post
    There is nothing in my boxes that would be of concern to MAF, and I ticked "no" on all the paperwork when asked if I had any restricted/questionable items etc.
    However, MAF/MPI will still want to inspect things. I have no opinion as to whether or not your company is doing dodgy things but I can tell you I got the direct receipt from MAF and it was around 350. They charge for the inspector to come out and the charge for "devanning". My container was squeaky clean but they still want to inspect anything labelled "basket" or "christmas decorations". They also inspect all bikes, wagons, and prams. Although my container passed all inspections, I still had to pay for the inspection. Does that make sense?

I had to pay one for our vehicle (motorcycle), which I paid directly to customs. any other fees were included with the moving quote.

Hi,

I'm not sure if you'll see this, but I was wondering if you resolved this? I'm facing a similar problem..