Thread: Definition of "Original Document"

Cool Definition of "Original Document"

Hi,

I know that "Certified Copy" is defined by INZ and NZQA, but unfortunately "Original Document" doesn't seem to be. This leaves me a little unsure.

EXAMPLE 1: I have acquired all the documents from my university's registry regarding my course syllabus, mark sheets etc and I have the original degree certificate. Now, the syllabus etc is allowed to be a "certified copy". The information sent to me by the university registry is photocopied information from their archive, with each page stamped with an official university stamp. To me, these documents are originals because they come from the original issueing authority. They're certainly not certified copies, becuase they haven't been stamped by someone with legal authority to do so, and it would make no sense to get a certified copy of something which may not considered to be an original!

EXAMPLE 2: The same applies with my Birth Certificate. My parents never got a full original birth certificate, so I got a full one from the UK Registry Office a few years ago. On the top it says "CERTIFIED COPY" and at the bottom it says "THIS IS NOT PROOF OF IDENTITY". Now, to me, this certificate (on official watermarked paper from the original source) is an "original" document. There is no other, it came from the original source and I haven't copied it. I then need to get a certified copy because i don't want to send my only "original". Given that it says "CERTIFIED COPY" on the top, would it count as an original to NZQA!? Would it count as proof of identity (as requested by the IQA guidance), even if it says "THIS IS NOT PROOF OF IDENTITY" at the bottom?

It gets more confusing with my wife's documents because they all have to be translated.. so we'll have certified copies of translations of certified copies of certified copies The mind boggles

It's important in my case because original documents are treated differently than copies (i.e. you get the originals back) and I don't want to lose any of what I consider to be originals.

I will send the docs, labelling them as original or certified copy, but I was just interested in the general views

And yes, I do have bigger things to worry about

The qualification files MUST be original not certified. I had send certified and they ask me to send originals. However my birth certificate was copied, certified and translated. They explicitly ask only for original qualifications papers and of course translated.

I was thought the same as you, in our legal system certified copy is the same as original and acknowledged by state authority organ.

I don't think anyone here will be able to give you an authoritative opinion. In your place, I would put this question, with your examples as given here, to INZ. (It IS odd...)

ok.. I have the original certificates for my qualifications - that's not a problem. It's just that my birth certificate is an "original certified copy" and there's no way on earth for me to ever get an "original original" as it doesn't exist. Regarding my syllabus, again, it's only possible to get an "original copy" and not the "original original", which also doesn't exist anymore. In both cases, the information has been provided from the original source or authority (for a fee) so I'll have to treat them as originals for this purpose.

I did ask INZ this question (also about "original print outs of photographs" and other oddities), but have not had an answer in more than a week. I'll call the NZQA tonight just for clarification.

At the end of the day, the "important" docs are "original originals" so it should be ok.

I will quote the reply from NZQA:

Further documents required:
    The initial check of your original document package showed that we need further information/documents from you before we can progress with the application. These are:

Originals of all documentation concerning your qualifications to be assessed.i.e. Award certificates, Transcripts and diploma supplements with translations if required.
    Again you do not need to send originals of birth certificates. Since you are from Germany you might check on your Local Government Unit where you can get Extract of the Register of Births.

They only answer you when you get number which is Applicant xxxxxxx-x and thus they only send you feedback if you address subject in e-mail with: Applicant xxxxxxx-x.

Regards

I'll call NZQA tonight and post the answer.

I have all the originals of the important stuff: certificates, supplements, mark sheets. I have a course syllabus provided by the university registry, stamped by them for authenticity, but I have no idea if this counts as an "original" (it's the only one that exists) from an original source, or if it counts as a copy.

It's just that my birth certificate is an "original certified copy" and there's no way on earth for me to ever get an "original original" as it doesn't exist. Regarding my syllabus, again, it's only possible to get an "original copy" and not the "original original", which also doesn't exist anymore.
    Thinking about this, I suppose the original would actually be the register it was recorded in, so everyone's certificate will only ever be a certified official copy of that, since nobody is going to give you the book!

Hi Dom
    I just took a look at the documents I submitted many years ago - including academi transcript from London Uni (same s you). I got our solicitor to certify a copy of everything, includng the original documents required by NZQA. I kept the certified copies of the originals that had to be submitted and sent teh certified copies of everything else. I know this is a while ago, but I didn't have any problem. Incidentally, my solicitor didn't charge me for this at all - not suer what the situationis in Germany. You wil be dleighted to know that when you get to NZ, any certified copies required can be done free at most District Courts while you wait.
    Cheers
    Karen

Hi all,
    well I didn't get an answer from NZQA on this. I phoned them up and they were basically pretty relaxed about it. The passport page had to of course definitely be a certified copy and the degree certificates / A-Level certificates had to be original (or from the original institution), but the rest they weren't too concerned about. My university course transcript with the official university seal on it was fine, even if not technically the original. I got all the family members' birth certificates and our marriage certificate copies certified last week for 3€ each at our Ortsgericht (local court).

So IQA sent this morning!

Good luck with that! Please let me know how you go! Cheers. Karen