Thread: Principal applicant pregnant. What are the options now?

Default Principal applicant pregnant. What are the options now?

Our CO has evaluated us efficient to settle and contribute to NZ and invited my wife, who is the principal applicant to apply for Work to resident VISA.

But she found pregnant today.

We are really in a dilemma now.

Is it a good idea to go to New Zealand as pregnant?

How easy it is search job as pregnant? During job search whether we need to know the employer about this?

Whether we should let the CO know that she is pregnant?
    If we do so whether she will reject WTR and hence the PR?

Is there a chance to change the principal applicant? We are IT couples from India and both are having qualifications and experience to become principal applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by jmathewp View Post
    Our CO has evaluated us efficient to settle and contribute to NZ and invited my wife, who is the principal applicant to apply for Work to resident VISA.

But she found pregnant today.

We are really in a dilemma now.

How easy it is search job as pregnant? During job search whether we need to know the employer about this?

Is there a chance to change the principal applicant? We are IT couples from India and both are having qualifications and experience to become principal applicant.

First of all "Congratulation" for wonderful news you shared with all of us.

Why do you think its not a good Idea to go to NZ when you pregnant ? Its a normal thing and I do not see a challenge, provided there are no medical complications.

Getting a job not being pregnant and being one, poses the same challenge I believe and being a developed country with High Human Development Index, there will be consideration and organization policies to support, though there are always exceptions.

Since the decision is already made by the CO, informing her/him will not impact, that's what my understanding.
    There will no change in decision, it will remain as WTR.

If you are planning to change Principal applicant - The process will start from "zero". Which means everything from EOI to ITA and Interview cycle will repeat for you.

Its now upon you to take a moment and think - All the best for decision you make.

Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by jmathewp View Post

Its normal for people to travel to New Zealand while pregnant. Job hunting during this time may not be great idea though, she might need to let the employer know about pregnancy - I have come across some employers who might allow maternity leave only after completing certain time with them, so your OH might be able to speak/negotiate on these lines.

You must update INZ whenever there is change of circumstances. I doubt if your case officer would change the decision with pregnancy as a reason.

I'm guessing you might have to apply with fresh application if principal applicant needs to be changed.

Hi. I agree with Sun777. While in theory job searching while pregnant should not be an issue, in reality, there are a lot of employers out there who will use it as an excuse not to employ and then have to find a temporary replacement. On a human note, I had dealings with at least one Indian woman who came to NZ as a student, leaving her husband to follow when his work visa was sorted. Then she found out she was pregnant. Although NZ has great maternity services, she found as the months progressed that she needed her family around her and went back to India to give birth. She returned the following year to complete her studies. I think you need to talk to your CO and see what the options are. It is faintly possible that they will allow you a delay in the start of the visa - although I guess, going to NZ alone, leaving behind a husband and small baby would be pretty tricky too. Good luck with it all.

Hi hemanshumistry,Sun77 , Karen Phillips

Thank you so much for your replies

We had let our CO know about the pregnancy, but she replied that Application can't put on hold. We have to apply for WTR in 3 months and once WTR issued , she need to enter NZ within 3 months. But while entering NZ she should not be 6 months pregnant.

We think going alone as pregnant and job searching will put her under pressure and may affect the development of our baby. So we would like to give up our New Zealand plans as there are no other options, though it is painful to quit at this final stage.