Thread: White eggs for dyeing

Default White eggs for dyeing

So, last year I was on the hunt for white eggs but never found them. Last Sunday, this article was in the Sunday Star Times explaining why: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...-to-white-eggs
    Although the statement that "Americans would turn up their noses at brown eggs" makes me wonder what other factual errors are in the article, it does explain the seeming impossibility of finding white eggs. Anybody had any luck in the "Top of the South"?

We've not seen white eggs here. An American expat friend brought back Paas Easter egg dye from the States, and she's going to try them on the brown eggs for fun. I predict she will end up with many interesting shades of icky.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    We've not seen white eggs here. An American expat friend brought back Paas Easter egg dye from the States, and she's going to try them on the brown eggs for fun. I predict she will end up with many interesting shades of icky.
    Ha! We tried that in the States one year and they don't really look that flash.
    I guess it's just chocolate eggs (it's rough ) again this year.

"People believe brown eggs are less processed and more natural. Like brown sugar, brown bread and brown paper bags," Mainland Eggs head of sales and marketing Hamish Sutherland said. "It's not scientific."

It's amazing what complete nonsense companies come up with. Where Mr. Hamish Sutherland gets that idea from about the opinions of the general public is anyone's guess. Perhaps he needs to think more about the conditions in which eggs are produced. Conditions for hens are improving but it is going to take a while.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10852437

Happy Easter to you all.

I dye the brown eggs with colours my mum sent from Germany and although the colours are not as bright, it still works. There are less white eggs available in Germany, now, too, at least that is my memory from the last visit(s).

I just looked at the box of free range eggs in my fridge - 12 completely different coloured ones, including 2 almost white ones. I had hens in the UK which laid pale blue eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I just looked at the box of free range eggs in my fridge - 12 completely different coloured ones, including 2 almost white ones. I had hens in the UK which laid pale blue eggs.
    They are always brown at the shop where I buy my free range eggs. They do vary in size and speckling but always some shade of brown.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    They are always brown at the shop where I buy my free range eggs. They do vary in size and speckling but always some shade of brown.
    We get allsorts of colours (not blue) with our free-range eggs incl white. In UK, white eggs were the norm 20 years ago, now they're mostly brown. We were surprised to see them again here.

The different hen- breeds lay different coloured eggs, but most of the hens people have for egg production, free range or not, are brown shavers, because they lay the most reliable.