Thread: Which City ? Auckland , Christchurch or Bay of Plenty?

Default Which City ? Auckland , Christchurch or Bay of Plenty?

My family and I are planning on making the move in July 2013. I am not quite sure which city we are moving initially. I am looking at the job prospects and area. Should I go Bay of Plenty, Auckland or Christchurch? I am a secondary school teacher, my husband is in construction and my children are aged 6 and 8. Forumites, I welcome your suggestions.

If your husband is in construction Christchurch will be the easiest place at the moment to find work, but this does not necessarily follow for you as a secondary school teacher. There is currently major rationalization going on in the schools and no one is quite sure where this will lead, though probably more noticeable at the primary level. It will also depend upon what subject(s) you teach and the demand for those.

Hi.I am totally biased. I love Bay of Plenty. Great climate and environment plus excellent schools. I hear that many of the construction projects that were put on hold when the economy went downhill are now underway. Nothing wrong g with the other places but if you want any further I formation, just ask. Cheers.Karen

Hey, I am a secondary school teacher in the eastern bay of plenty. I live here with my family and moved over from Newcastle, UK 2007. My eldest son lives in Christchurch now and is married, my youngest son at my high school, wife works at local council. Auckland = lots going on, proprty more expensive, lots of traffic, basically all the trappings of a big city but auckland is spread over a massive area. Bay of plenty is VERY diverse in terms of way of life and cultures compared to even Auckland or Christchurch. I love living here but there are a few things that frustrate us, but not enough to move away from this beautiful area. Christchurch and Hamilton are like English cities in many ways. If your moving becuase you want different lifestyles, I would not go to either of those 2 cities. Bay of Plenty has 2 places I would move to other than Whakatane, which are Tauranga, or Mnt Maunganui. I have gotten to know Maori culture very well and there are lots of expats all over NZ. With regards to teaching, if there are any specific aspects of the job you would like answers to, let me know. Good luck with the move.

I am on here as I am looking at maybe shipping a motorbike over here and need a space in a container for it as bikes are expensive here, but the individual shipping costs are massive. When you planning to get here by? Also, what are your subject specialities?

Regards

Lee

I would only say that if you move to Auckland, both you and your husband would be able to find more employment opportunities in Auckland than in most other cities. In some cases, someone gets a job and the other partner finds it hard and frustrating to find permanent employment. That leaves you dependent on 1 income which can be insufficient or hard to live on. There are jobs in both sectors. Although Auckland's construction industry isn't quite as full-steam rampant as that in Christchurch but it is still quite in demand. New development and projects are always happening as the city is growing. As for teaching, recruitment is usually mid-year but more often end of the year so it is more seasonal. You should time your arrival according to that schedule.

As for diversity - Auckland is the most multicultural and diversed city in NZ. So I am not sure what he is talking about. You have many communities here and not just the Maori/Polynesian culture.

Diverse cultures, heres a couple of examples............there are palces down here that have communal horses for transport, people bury their dead in the front garden( out in the sticks though) Some places around the cape are totally shut come 6 pm inc fuel stations and if your on a motorbike, you gotta plan your route really carefully otherwise you can run out of fuel and see no one on the road for hours.

Anyhooo, He knows what he is talking about so he would prefer it if he was not reffered to in such derogatory manner. I am here to help others do what I have done.

I NOW know what you mean. I was talking about ethnicities, people and cultures, traditions and practices. You were referring to mainly lifestyles and geography. I am not so sure what you mention is considered a plus point imho. But to each his own.

Thanks everyone. We will probably go where ever we get jobs. If we do not get jobs we will probably go to Bay of Plenty,

If I were moving to NZ right now Christchurch would be very low on my list. The traffic is a nightmare and property is scarce and expensive. There are certainly jobs in construction but maybe not in education. The schools are in turmoil at the moment with a large number scheduled for closure or merger. There is a big row going on and I can't see any of them recruiting new staff until the dust settles. Chch was a nice city to work and I'm sure it will be again but it may take 10-20 years at the current rate.