Thread: NZQA assessment required? exact match ANZSCO and LTSSL

Default NZQA assessment required? exact match ANZSCO and LTSSL

for skilled employment, I have doubt in relation to qualification requirements. For the skilled employment, one criteria is that
    “a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications (the Register) that corresponds to the indicative skill level described for that occupation in the ANZSCO; or”

For my job (Systems Administrator) ANZSCO mentions qualification requirement is bachelor degree or higher qualification. I have 2 qualifications one is at the qualification level qualification mentioned for my skilled job, while other one is above that.

These qualifications are Bachelor degree and post graduate diploma. My post graduate doesn’t need assessment as it was obtained at University of Auckland and it also meets criteria of recognized qualification of NZQA, while my Bachelor qualification needs Assessment. I would like to claim for the above requirement using my post graduate qualification as it is above what is required in ANZSCO qualification requirement. Thus, in given case, do I need to get my Bachelor qualification assessed? Please note that even under qualifications section of SMC, I would be claiming points for Post graduate only.

Similar question applies for claiming points under Absolute skill shortage, but I believe it is clearly mentioned somewhere that qualification should be exact match as described in column 3 of LTSSL. So, to claim point for absolute skill shortage, do I need to get my bachelor qualification assessed by NZQA? I believe, when I got accepted for Post graduate qualification, The University of Auckland would have done the assessment of my bachelor’s degree. Thus, I might not need explicit assessment for my bachelor’s degree by NZQA.

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by abhims2; 31st March 2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: enhancing question quality

I'm afraid you DO need to get your bachelor's degree assessed. INZ does indeed require an exact match to what is mentioned on the list, and something at a higher level does not take away the need for what they say. Also, INZ are only empowered to accept authentication of qualifications from NZQA, so it wouldn't work to put forward the argument that the university were satisfied with what you had previously achieved.

JandM, I agree to your above logic for claiming points for Absolute skill shortage. So thats my answer for part 2 of my question. For the part 1, which deals with :
    ANZSCO's text for my job that applicant should have "a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level". So even for that part, you think, I need to provide NZQA for my bachelors though I am showing my higher degree?

Hi. If you are not intending to claim points for work experience in an Area of Absolute Skills Shortage then you should be okay so long as you meet the ANZSCO. I guess you have enough points without these extras? If you have a job offer for a 262113 Job and more than 100 points you should be okay. If you don't have a job offer and you are not going to claim the bonus points, you will need 140 points for a realistic chance of success. The bonus points are used to determine which EOIs below 140 points that do not include a job offer will be selected. Hope this helps. If you have any real doubts, contact your nearest INZ Office - I am sure they will put your mind at rest. Cheers. Karen

thanks Karen, I understand your point. I have a job and with out bonus point, I am able to get to 140 marks.