Thread: Looking for space in a container for a motorbike from UK

Default Looking for space in a container for a motorbike from UK

HI. UK expat here, moved to NZ 7 yrs ago. I am looking at buying a motorbike back in the UK when i go back for a holiday in July. Is there anyone that would be prepared to have my put my bike( havent bought it yet) into their container and brought over to NZ?. This may sound dodgy, but totally genuine!!

Im a high school teacher in the Eastern bay of Plenty and starting to get into road racing here in New Zealand. Ive got a race bike lined up to buy in NZ but also looking to buy a cheap commuter bike from the UK and ship it over here if possible. Im doing a motorbike tour around Scotland when Im back in July and will be buying a bike for the tour. So, Ill try and see if I can ship it back to NZ.

Ill take care of all associated paperwork etc and help out in any way I can at this end regarding your move to this beautiful country

Fingers crossed!!

Clarky!

Sorry I can't help you with that clarkybear.

I am just wondering about bike prices in NZ, must be worth it to bring a bike over even though you'd have to pay VAT on it, seeing that you haven't owned it for 12 months?

I am curious as we are in the process of moving from Ireland and I am selling my bike here before moving. Not quite sure if I am going to buy one in NZ.

Hanna

Default Bike prices

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna MW View Post
    Sorry I can't help you with that clarkybear.

I am just wondering about bike prices in NZ, must be worth it to bring a bike over even though you'd have to pay VAT on it, seeing that you haven't owned it for 12 months?

I am curious as we are in the process of moving from Ireland and I am selling my bike here before moving. Not quite sure if I am going to buy one in NZ.

Hanna
    well as a comparison a few thigs to bear in mind

here in NZ trackdays are very pupular and insurance companies will cover you on your normal insurance but excess increases.

Most common types of bikes are probably cruiser, harley style bikes and Moto cross, then the road/ sports bikes

Used bikes hold their prices very high here.

I am looking at buying a 98 ish cbr 600 or r6/ zx6 when i go back the uk in July, prices around 1500GBP. same bikes here are probably 700 1000 quid more here.

look on trademe......its the kiwi version of ebay

insurance is very cheap here too. I have a 2004 zx10 that i bought here, and been riding for over 10 years. my insurance is 300 quid a year.

all leathers, helmets gloves etc are around 25 - 40% more expensive to buy here such as rst, teknik, dainese, arai, shoei all way more expensive to buy here. bring what you can as stuff is costly here, but the weather is great and free!

The problem that occurs to me is that by the time you've strapped a bike securely into a container it will take up nearly as much room as a small car. Putting the bike in a crate on a pallet might be the way to go, then sending as general freight. You could chuck a load of other stuff in too, such as biker clothes, tools etc. A few years ago when I sent a crate it came out at ukp190 for 1 cubic metre so I'm estimating a bike to be about double that.

Default Ive bought a bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkybear View Post
    well as a comparison a few thigs to bear in mind

here in NZ trackdays are very pupular and insurance companies will cover you on your normal insurance but excess increases.

Most common types of bikes are probably cruiser, harley style bikes and Moto cross, then the road/ sports bikes

Used bikes hold their prices very high here.

I am looking at buying a 98 ish cbr 600 or r6/ zx6 when i go back the uk in July, prices around 1500GBP. same bikes here are probably 700 1000 quid more here.

look on trademe......its the kiwi version of ebay

insurance is very cheap here too. I have a 2004 zx10 that i bought here, and been riding for over 10 years. my insurance is 300 quid a year.

all leathers, helmets gloves etc are around 25 - 40% more expensive to buy here such as rst, teknik, dainese, arai, shoei all way more expensive to buy here. bring what you can as stuff is costly here, but the weather is great and free!
    Ive got a bike and looking forward to a tour around Scotland in July. Hopefully someone will be coming out here to New zealand....anywhere in NZ is fine and I can put me bike in your container. Ill sort all paperwork etc. i just need the space. Anytime between August and December this year or thereabouts. Thanks. Oh and anyone need any help with the transition, ill be happy to help having done the move 7 years ago. thanks