Thread: Need help please!

Talking Need help please!

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and I need your help.
    I am a NZ resident and I got married last month and I want to bring my husband to NZ. He is currently in Sri Lanka and I had to come back to NZ since my holidays were over
    I was checking the Immigration web site and it seems that he can't apply for the partnership based residency visa since we haven't been living together for a year.
    Can someone please help me out and tell me what our best options are ans how long this process would take?
    Many Thanks

Hi. oOw long did yu live together before returning to NZ? If you have a few months together and you can provide the right evidence, you could sponsor him for a Partnership Temproary Work Visa for 12 months. Once this is up, he could apply for residence. Hope this helps. Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. oOw long did yu live together before returning to NZ? If you have a few months together and you can provide the right evidence, you could sponsor him for a Partnership Temproary Work Visa for 12 months. Once this is up, he could apply for residence. Hope this helps. Karen
    hi Karen,
    Thanks for your reply,
    We only lived together for a few weeks. i only have our marriage certificate and photos of our wedding and other photos as evidence. would this be enough you think?

Hi - sorry about appalling typing in previous reply - I had a hot sandwich waiting for me! It's hard to say for certain, but it could work. As you are in NZ, I think I would phone my nearest INZ office, explain the situation to them and see if they think this is enough. There's no exact answer. If you were in a relationship for some months before you moved in together, even though this won't count as evidence of your partnership, it might help to prove that your relationship is genuine and that it is not a marriage of convenience to get your husband NZ residence. Pleae forgive me if this sounds harsh, I am totally sympathetic to your situation, I am just looking at it from the cold, hard perspective of immigration legislation. Make sure you explain that you are only apart now because you had to return to NZ for work. See WF2.1 (b) in the INZ Operational Manual. Good luck! Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi - sorry about appalling typing in previous reply - I had a hot sandwich waiting for me! It's hard to say for certain, but it could work. As you are in NZ, I think I would phone my nearest INZ office, explain the situation to them and see if they think this is enough. There's no exact answer. If you were in a relationship for some months before you moved in together, even though this won't count as evidence of your partnership, it might help to prove that your relationship is genuine and that it is not a marriage of convenience to get your husband NZ residence. Pleae forgive me if this sounds harsh, I am totally sympathetic to your situation, I am just looking at it from the cold, hard perspective of immigration legislation. Make sure you explain that you are only apart now because you had to return to NZ for work. See WF2.1 (b) in the INZ Operational Manual. Good luck! Karen
    Do you think it'll be easier to apply for a visitor visa first and then apply for work/resident visa?
    Also I f I have his passport and other medical/police reports here with me, can I hand them in here in NZ or he has to do it over there?

Sorry - have been away and also struggling with my email provided changing from Google to Yahoo! If you are still unsure what to do, I suggest you phone INZ. You should be eligible for a Family Stream Work Visa. Go to Operational manual - temporary entry, work visas, family stream and read WF2.1. Hope this helps. I am back and in contact with the world again now, so feel free to ask more questions! Kind regards. Karen