Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Seats

Default Car Seats

Will we be able to take our car seat from the US? What NZ regulations do we need to be aware of?

New Zealand regulations are pretty basic. See here for some detail:http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/law.php I don't know how US car seats measure up against NZ standards but I would be shocked if you were challenged. No one challenged us when we brought them in.

By the way, the actual use of child car seats here (or, more accurately, the lack there of) is appalling. People think it's strange that our 8 and 9 year old kids still use booster seats and never sit up front...

Seems as soon as they hit 5 they are able to sit up front, no matter what size they are.

Just remember to sit them on the left!

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Just remember to sit them on the left!
    ... if you have a right hand drive...

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    Will we be able to take our car seat from the US? What NZ regulations do we need to be aware of?
    I don't see why not. We brought all our car seat (European safety standards), and I never asked anyone whether I can or not (nor was this questioned on import).

Daniela

See Factsheet 07 Child Restraints (pdf) for details.

Please note that the child seat must meet approved standards for use in NZ, see the factsheet for the appropriate standards. If you are found to be using a child seat that doesn't meet the correct standards you may be fined.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bozeman View Post
    New Zealand regulations are pretty basic. See here for some detail:http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/law.php I don't know how US car seats measure up against NZ standards but I would be shocked if you were challenged. No one challenged us when we brought them in.

By the way, the actual use of child car seats here (or, more accurately, the lack there of) is appalling. People think it's strange that our 8 and 9 year old kids still use booster seats and never sit up front...
    Not sure I'd agree. I think use of child seats is arguably more stringent here than the UK. Advice is tougher here - rear facing for longer in NZ than the UK, boosters etc. used longer here than the UK etc.

Quote Originally Posted by edw123 View Post
    Not sure I'd agree. I think use of child seats is arguably more stringent here than the UK. Advice is tougher here - rear facing for longer in NZ than the UK, boosters etc. used longer here than the UK etc.
    I don't believe that to be true at all. Here are some comparable rules for the UK: http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/types/index.htm

Daniela

No one has checked our car seats and I brought them on the plane. I've even been stopped and given a ticket with no check on our car seats and boosters. Considering they don't do free car seat checks, my guess is they don't have time to check.

Car seat laws and use are more lax here than in California. Like Bozeman, people do look at us funny because our 7 year old is still in a booster. My FIL thinks I'm insulting his driving when I don't allow my children to sit in the front seat of his car. There are a lot of people that say things like, "Oh man, things are so PC now, we didn't even wear our seatbelts and we're alive."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast