Thread: PETS...dont get caught out...

Default PETS...dont get caught out...

Must warn pet owners...cats and dogs must have had Rabies vaccination no less than 6 months prior to travel.
    We hope to fly on 4th July, contacted pet carriers Golden Arrow to firm up details, and am devastated that our cat
    if she had vaccination today could not travel till 9th October. They had sent me the info for dogs so did not
    read it. Dont know what to do...13 weeks in cattery or re-home her...so sad...literally....

The six months thing catches quite a few people out. I feel so sorry for you. We are upset at the thought of our moggy having to spend just four weeks in a cattery before she can fly and then two weeks in quarantine at the other end. But we are more sad about the one we need to leave behind because, at 17, the vet said it wouldn't be fair to put her through the stress of the journey. At least a family member is taking her, well, my ex husband. I suppose I've had custody for the last eight years

Only you can decide which is right for you. 13 weeks of cattery fees will be around £450 this end, but shipping a pet is an expensive business anyway (assuming you were already paying £1700 or so). Your cat will cope with a new routine in a cattery, and tbh you can get settled at the other end without her being (literally) under your feet. She won't forget you.

In a way it works out better for us with our cat's delayed departure because we will only have to move her once from the quarantine facility to our longer term rental.

My advice after my experience of preparing to emigrate is do just 2 things at the point you even think about going, certainly before you put your EOI in. Get your pets vaccinated and go straight for an IQA. If you don't move it is lost money, but these were the two things that caused me the most angst.

We were in the same position too. I was thinking it was 6 weeks not 6 months. Our dog had his injection a few weeks ago and is booked in for the blood test next week. We then have been told we have to wait 150 days until the next step. We are thinking it will be around July/August when we leave but dog wont be able to come till September. Luckily one of my very kind friends has offered to take care of him and take him to the shipping company etc.

Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get it sorted.

Thanks for your thoughts...we have decided to take her...we could not find another couple as soft as us to adopt her, the alternative was somewhere where they keep cats waiting to be re-housed. we thought she might as well be stuck in a cattery for 4 months waiting for a flight as stuck in one waiting to be re-housed...she is only 7yrs and the vet gave the all clear, we fly end of May she will follow via Golden Arrow in October, at least we will have a house by then for her to settle in...feel much better now...just keep thinking that pets used to be quarantined for 6months as routine...cost is getting on for £2000! again thanks...debbie