Thread: Questions regarding Skilled Migration!!! ;) Please HELP!!!

Exclamation Questions regarding Skilled Migration!!! ;) Please HELP!!!

Hello to everyone who is in NZ or going there! ))
    Im new on this forum,Im trying to find out more about that Migration program.Me and my husband originally from Ukraine,live in USA last 6-7 years; Both educated,and want to move to NZ! I would love to know:
    1) Life in NZ same as in Europe or USA?I mean life style,culture,people?
    2)How long visa process takes after approved Express of interest?
    3) What kind of medical care system in NZ?
    4)HOW IS JOBS MARKET IN IT AND DENTAL PROFESSIONS?
    5)EASY TO BUILD credit score there,possible to buy HOUSE,Property?
    6) Is NZ has car lease like in US?
    7)Any grants goverment grants for education exist?
    8) Best part of NZ to live where I can buy house?
    Thank you so much!

Hi, I'm from the USA but of Ukrainian heritage. I'm curious -- you say you want to move to NZ, but seem not to have done very much research about the country. Searching this forum will probably be a good start, but there is a lot of information available elsewhere as well. I'll comment on your questions in the order presented:

1. No, life here is not the same (nor is it the same in Europe as in the USA in my own experience) -- but, having lived in North America, you wouldn't find it wildly different.
    2. This is a very difficult question to answer, and depends on so many factors that no general answer is really possible (where your degrees were earned, whether there are any medical or character issues in your case, your ages, and so on).
    3. Quality of care, in my own opinion, is quite good. It's not free, but heavily subsidized for citizens, permanent residents, and holders of long-term work visas.
    4. Sorry, no idea, and to practice as a dentist, you'd better see what local licensing criteria you'd have to satisfy, for a start.
    5. It's easy to get basic credit, but mortgage qualifying criteria will require you to have a significant down payment and good, verifiable income. Interest rates are significantly higher than in the USA (but that's true for interest you earn, as well as pay).
    6. Car leasing exists, but is uncommon. Credit for purchase of good-quality secondhand vehicles is easily available. If you can't pay cash, that's a much more popular local path to car ownership.
    7. Basically, no. Even as a permanent resident, you'll have to remain here for two years to qualify for student loans (although you'll only owe resident tuition rates, which are very low by US standards).
    8. Sorry, this is too broad a question. Housing affordability is a significant problem in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington -- unfortunately, from that perspective, that's where many of the well-paying jobs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chistina View Post
    Hello to everyone who is in NZ or going there! ))
    Im new on this forum,Im trying to find out more about that Migration program.Me and my husband originally from Ukraine,live in USA last 6-7 years; Both educated,and want to move to NZ! I would love to know:
    1) Life in NZ same as in Europe or USA?I mean life style,culture,people? No completely different to USA and not sure about UK as I have not been there in 22 yrs but NZ is a completely different country with different culture etc. Much slower pace of life generally then urban USA.
    2)How long visa process takes after approved Express of interest? Depends on branch you apply to and your circumstances, Our whole process took about 2 yrs but we were in no rush.
    3) What kind of medical care system in NZ? Somewhat publicly funded when you qualify for it(PR and some visas), have to pay at Dr's, for certain xrays and prescriptions. there is also private insurance if you want it.
    4)HOW IS JOBS MARKET IN IT AND DENTAL PROFESSIONS? No idea.
    5)EASY TO BUILD credit score there,possible to buy HOUSE,Property? Depends on your income, job etc. Credit does not work the same as the USA amd credit score does not follow you from the USA. We got a really good mortgage rate as first time home owners in NZ but had to bring money over for a deposit.House much smaller than those in USA.
    6) Is NZ has car lease like in US? Not sure but we bought ours outright.
    7)Any grants goverment grants for education exist?Not sure, sorry.
    8) Best part of NZ to live where I can buy house? Cannot answer that. What are you looking for? Small town or city? coast or inland?
    Thank you so much!
    Hope this helps.