Thread: Stay time limit for resident visa within NZ

Default Stay time limit for resident visa within NZ

Hello

First of all, thanks to all for all support.

I got resident visa on 6 march 2013, I am aware of the fact that I have to stay 184 days each year in order to apply for PR. I was wondering, what happen if want to travel back home for more than 2 years and come back before 6 march 2015-just before expiry date. will there be any problem? or i must stay 184 days each year?

what if ill return back before 6 march 2015 just further to extend resident visa again.

i have read the information given NZ immi website but its not clear about this issue.

Please advise
    Last edited by sunnyhanda; 5th April 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Your Residence Visa is for life, the issue is that normally with your first Residence Visa you have travel Conditions allowing to your fly to or from NZ for 2 years.
    Once the 2 years are up you need to get another resident visa or variation of conditions. So provided you are in NZ before the 2 years travel conditions has expired, there are a few options to extend your travel conditions.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

If you spent most of the next two years in your original home country, then came back to NZ just before expiry of your travel conditions, that would be fine, as long as you were coming back to settle and make your life there at that point - you would not be able to renew your travel conditions (to be able to travel outside the country) for very long at that time if you could hardly show any time in NZ to date. You would need to be prepared to settle down and establish your commitment to NZ, counting from then on. (In other words, you would probably, using the most common criterion for commitment, need to accept that you would not be able to travel outside NZ for the following two years, so as to get the right to Permanent Residence, then after that you would be able to come and go freely.)