Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US FBI record

Default US FBI record

Hello,

For those of you have had to go through the US criminal records check, does anyone know if we are allowed to use an FBI-approved channeler to obtain our FBI records? Does the record report have to have an apostille to be accepted by the NZ authorities?

Thanks!

No idea what you mean by "FBI-approved channeler" -- we had fingerprints taken by local PD and submitted to FBI directly. Can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't very long (4 weeks or so?) No apostille required -- actually, assuming there's nothing for them to report, all the FBI does is stamp the back of your fingerprint card and staple a form letter to it. That's your US "Police Report."

Thanks for the info. The FBI now has "channelers" that can expedite the process by submitting the fingerprints electronically - you pay extra but you get the results via their online system within a week I think. But they can't do the apostille process. 4 weeks is not that bad though - good to know.

It took closer to two months when I submitted my prints last year. That's total time elapsed between posting my prints to the States and getting results back in my mailbox.

It took nearly two weeks for me to get my local PD to do my prints in the first place. I went there six times before they finally weren't "too busy" to do it.

The hilarious part is it was all a total waste of time; the last time I was in the States was mid-2009, but I've still had to get a police certificate from them at least twice since then. Very irritating, because it meant that despite getting my ITA the first week of October, my residency application wasn't actually lodged until the first week of January.

As I was in Canada I couldn't use a channeller that submits them electronically. So it took 10 weeks to get mine back--I lost a long time waiting, in fact. I did use a Canadian channeller for my Canadian clearance: the paperwork from the RCMP was identical to what would've been received had I gone to the RCMP directly--but was much faster.

The FBI clearance is such a hassle to do from abroad! I've already tried to get the fingerprints done locally in the past, and was given the run-around from the police station to the police headquarters to the city hall, and still no one would do them. The US consulate told me to go to the embassy in Paris, the embassy told me to call the Canadian embassy. Meanwhile I just requested a French police clearance certificate for my local employer and received it in 3 days at no cost.

I've just had my FBI Background Check done through a channeler (in the US), it was indeed very quick and convenient. Unfortunately, though, the results were only delivered to me via email in an encrypted plain text file, and I'm worried this may not be sufficient for the NZ authorities. Maybe if I print it and get it notarized...? It's just text information, not an "official-looking" document, and no hardcopy of the prints. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to use it or not, something to consider if you're thinking of using a channeler. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Here is the text I received (redacted of course):

CIVIL APPLICANT RESPONSE

ICN E*************** *** *** ****
    <NAME***********> * *** (DOB)/**/**
    MNU SOC (SSN)****** SEX *
    FPC
    ***** ***** API

U******** INTEGRATED BIO TECH DATE FP
    NASHVILLE TN 2013/09/05
    A SEARCH OF THE FINGERPRINTS ON THE ABOVE
    INDIVIDUAL HAS REVEALED NO PRIOR ARREST
    DATA. CJIS DIVISION
    2013/09/24 FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Hey pr0sper0 - was your police check finally accepted in the end? I am looking into using a channeler in the states to expedite the process ...

only US Citizens and green card holders can use an approved channeler. It will take a few days, v. 8-10 weeks for the FBI direct

In order to apply, does that mean I have to walk into a police station and fill out a form?

Please advise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast