Thread: joiner in the UK wanting to move over to NZ

Default joiner in the UK wanting to move over to NZ

HI
    forthe past year or so i have wanted to do a little bit of traveling around OZ, just never came round to doing it. A frind of mine has decided to move over to NZ I think with the intentions of making it his home, this has got me very interested as i have heard on numerous occasions that there is plenty of joinery work going about in Christchurch, so figured i would join him.

Is there really lots of construction work in Christchurch? We are both experienced joiners and he has been talking to many agencies who say he will easily find work there, but i am not very trusting towards agencies, as over here they tend to tell you what you want to hear.

Thanks for any help

First things first you need a visa to work here ........ that said

My understanding from a friend who is up in Tauranga visiting from Christchurch yesterday is that there is lots of building work going on and yes lots of trades are required but accommodation for those workers is at a premium. She herself currently has 6 people living with her who are doing building work of one sort or another and she gets phone calls daily asking if she has room for one more. She also indicated that a lot of people are living in holiday campsites paying exhorbitant money for doing so with not very good conditions and with winter heading our way its going to be pretty cold living there.

In saying all of that i certainly wouldnt say dont come, they need all the help they can get in the rebuild after the quakes and your bound to find somewhere to live. It may be more useful looking for accommodation before you arrive. Good luck in whatever you decide.

thanks for the reply .... my only worry is that i get there and there is no work, so what you have said has made it look more attractive as i dont mind ruff living arrangement's as i will want to travel oz after NZ thank you

Yes there's building work but I would look further into it to check it's joinery, I have a friend who has had quite a struggle finding joinery work although I don't how choosey they were but I would just have a real look into it to see if joinery is needed. Good luck

There are special official bodies to help with checking. Here's the one about workers for Christchurch and the area around http://www.opportunitycanterbury.org.nz/, as referred to on the Immigration NZ page about visas. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ristchurch.htm