Thread: How much time must we spend in NZ on PRV

Default How much time must we spend in NZ on PRV

Hi Everyone,

On the 4th August we would be in NZ for 2 years and based on time spend here we'll qualify for our PRV.

My Hubby was offered a position in Middle East for at least 5 years, should he take it we'll be travelling back and forward as NZ is our home base.

My question is - once on a PRV how much time must we spend in NZ every year to keep our PRV?

I did have a look at the website but can not find anything set in concrete.

Are there anything else that we must also take into consideration?

Thank you!!

In theory, none. Once you have PR you are fee to come and go when you please.

Yes, that's right.

However, if you would like to apply for citizenship, you are required to be present in New Zealand for a certain amount of time:

From http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...p?OpenDocument :

Presence
    To be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship you must have New Zealand residence.

Residence means that Immigration New Zealand has allowed you to live in New Zealand indefinitely. You are required to have:
    Been present in New Zealand;
    for at least 1,350 days with New Zealand residence during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    for at least 240 days with New Zealand residence in each of those 5 years; and
    Fully met any conditions imposed by Immigration New Zealand in regard to your New Zealand residence.