Thread: First Entry - Residence visa

Question First Entry - Residence visa

Hi,

I plan to fly to NZ in Aug, first time on my residence visa, now getting very excited!

Anyone has information on the process after landing the Auckland airport? Customs, Immigration officers, etc.

I heard there'll be special process for new migrants for the first entry... any experience sharing will be appreciated!

Thanks!

You just go through the normal procedures - follow the signs as you would expect. EXCEPT you are entitled to go to the queue for NZers. The immigration official will stamp your passport, and may well say, 'Welcome home.'

I notice it is 12 months in August since you got your visa. Do be sure to book your flight to allow time for any travel hold ups, because you MUST activate your visa (getting that stamp at the airport) by the date on it (no excuses accepted), or it will lapse.

Thank you JandM - you're always responsive and helpful!

My air tickets have been fully booked, thanks for the reminder.

Follow up question -
    You just go through the normal procedures
    I will move my furnitures, appliances, etc. later using sea frieght, does the Immigration or the Customs want to know what I plan to bring to NZ (so that I will not need to pay duty)?

thanks!

No. You deal with all the formalities for your property when it arrives. Your passport will prove that you have Residence, and therefore you will get the migrant concession.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No. You deal with all the formalities for your property when it arrives. Your passport will prove that you have Residence, and therefore you will get the migrant concession.
    Thanks!